Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-04-02, 11:19 AM   #1
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007
Default Linux dullard seeks advice.....

Ok,

First off, I am a complete Linux dunderhead, so please excuse the base, elementary nature of the question.

I want to learn linux, but I am not comfortable enough putting it on my main machine. I have a laptop that I can put Red Hat 8 on. My questions is, will my PCMCIA D-Link DFE-670TXD NIC card work nativly? Whenever I see the instructions for Driver install under linux I get this pounding migraine (and I don't even run it yet!). Is it going to be a chore to get Red Hat up and running on a laptop?

If the PCMCIA junk is going to be difficult, does anyone have a link to doc's that would help clarify the process before I jump head long into it??

Thanks fellas!
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-02, 10:32 AM   #2
Klaus-P

Hm well, always remember learning linux is inversely proportinal to a running linux system ! ;-)
This was the bad news perhaps. Now the good news. Yes your card is on the list of supported cards.

"will my PCMCIA D-Link DFE-670TXD NIC card work nativly?"

This depends on the redhat install program. Since i've not the Redhat distro i cannot promise
you that the install program will find it and configure it for you automatically.

If you're not planing to install linux via a connection to an other computer ( a net installation),you may
configure it later. At "http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net" you can download the newest PCMCIA Howto document to learn
more about PCMCIA and linux.
Klaus-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-02, 01:23 PM   #3
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

Hehe..thanks man. I was able to get it up and running. The hard part is now wrangling the specs for my monitor out of Compaq and the net so I can setup X properly. This is becoming very difficult. linux-laptops.net is a big help, but of course, the Presario 1200XL300 isn't listed.

I Appreciate the input man
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote