Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-03-04, 03:20 PM   #1
PontiusPilate

Default ddcprobe fails

I'm running red hat 9, with the 2.6.7 kernel.

GeForce4 Ti4600

I installed the 1.0-6106 drivers.

I made the necessary changes to my x86 config file.

When I reboot, it fails to load X because it says that it can't find a good monitor configuration. I realized that this is because ddcprobe is failing. I'm not sure why this is, or why it is even running ddcprobe, because I've already specified in the config file that my monitor is a ViewSonic PF790.

I see two possible solutions:

1) Somehow tell X not to try to probe my monitor, and just trust what I say it is in the X86 config file

2) Somehow get a working version of ddcprobe that can actually tell what kind of monitor I have.

Has anyone else encountered this?
PontiusPilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-04, 07:05 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: ddcprobe fails

If you just configure X with the correct refresh rates X should work just fine.

Programs like ddcprobe use the ddc bus to get info about the monitor. This doesn't work for example for old monitors (yours is recent) and sometimes when the monitor is connected using bnc-cables (5 cables in total if I'm right) to your vga-output.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-04, 01:30 PM   #3
PontiusPilate

Well, I went back to the land of Windows (the place where everything is easy) and got my refresh rate, it's at 85Hz.

I went to the place in my xf86config file where it listed refresh rate. It said 80.0 - 150.0. I replaced the range with the number 85.0.

Still messes up when using the nvidia driver. However, it works fine with the nv driver.

I noticed there is an option in the monitor section with the value "dpms". Does that have anything to do with it?

I posted another thread with this same title in the nvidia drivers forum after I realized this was the wrong place to post it. Nobody replied =(

any ideas?

thanks anyways
Old 07-07-04, 06:34 AM   #4
Thunderbird

The value you need to get are the values from the manual of your monitor. Setting up a monitor is not a simple as juts putting 85 in the monitor section.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-04, 10:59 AM   #5
PontiusPilate

Ok, I was under the impression that when I select "ViewSonic PF790" from the list as my monitor, that it entered the values needed. I guess not, maybe that's something for future distros to consider.

Anyways, I tried the same exact procedure on my work computer that has a similar setup, except it has a flat panel monitor and the exact same thing happened.

I'm fairly new to this, I'm sorry to ask for hand holding, but could you post an example of a the monitor section of an working xf86config file that works with the nvidia driver? If I saw one, I could probably figure out where to fill in the values for my monitor. Thanks