Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-26-04, 09:28 AM   #1
paul.booth

Angry I can't find my on-board ethernet port

I recently completed a PC to sit between my home WLAN and the Internet (firewall, etc.).
Even though I have installed the Linux drivers which came on the motherboard CD, AND I've downloaded the latest updates from Nvidia, I still cannot see the on-board ethernet port.
I am having to run with 2 3rd-party ethernet cards to get the features I need.
The motherboard is the A7N8x2.0, running RedHat Linux 9.0 with all the latest updates.
paul.booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-04, 01:11 PM   #2
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: I can't find my on-board ethernet port

what kernel version?

you will need to install the forcedeth drivers (or compile them into the kernel) with the 2.6 kernel, but with the 2.4 kernel you will need the closed source drivers from nvidia.com for their ethernet card.

it may be a realtek ethernet (gigabit) card, in that case you will need to compile support for it into your kernel.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-04, 12:48 PM   #3
Kashmeer

I just added a NIC to my system. I wasn't worth the trouble...
Kashmeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 05:04 PM   #4
acidfourtyfive

I am also having the same problem. I get the message
error communicating "Device not found" when I use the command:

ifconfig eth0

I plan on installing the nForce2 drivers from nvidia.com but from the sounds of it this isn't going to do anything other than get me actually do something successful with linux other than:

ls | more
and some scripting

I rebuilt the source package and now I don't seem able to install it. I now know that's not what I want to do but I don't know how to unpack an rpm package. I'll find out but the man page doesn't help me any.
acidfourtyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-04, 06:04 AM   #5
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

uhmm, you could start with answering the questions i ask him, lol.

it's very easy to do.. all you need to do is compile in forcedeth with 2.6, or if you're on 2.4 install the closed source drivers.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote