Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-22-02, 02:19 AM   #13
Euphoria
--- ephor ---

Quote:
Originally posted by arise
Hmm, I get choppy playback....I even installed Mplayer, and same thing. Lol it took me a while to realize that the GUI is called "gmplayer" or something, I kept running the "mplayer" which was only the command line app.

Somehow I cannot enable DMA for my DVD drive, even if it supports UDMA2 (yes, UDMA2, not MultiwordDMA 2). If I use "hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd" it says it cannot be enabled. And yes I am doing it as root....

Any ideas?
Try hdparm -d1 /dev/cdrom or /dev/cdrom1 if that is your second cdrom. /dev/dvd is only a symbolic link to /dev/cdrom ( ln -s )\
Actually I just tried on mine and it said that

/dev/cdrom:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma = 0 (off)

So I sont really know what the hell is going on.
In Windows my DVDrom is set to UDMA4, but in Linux it says that it supports up to UDMA 4, that is when I type hdparm -i /dev/cdrom, but when I try to enable it it doesnt let me.

I also tried hdparm -d1 /dev/hdd , which is the actuall cdrom device, and same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Euphoria; 10-22-02 at 03:04 AM.
Euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-02, 03:50 AM   #14
arise

Yes I found in the meantime a possible solution, however I cannot try it until I get home tonight:

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/faq.shtml

==============================================

31. Playback is choppy. What can I do?

NOTE RedHat 8.0:
In all their wisdom, the people at redhat decided to turn off DMA for CD and DVD devices
in an even "more reliable" way than before.
To be able to turn on DMA _at all_ you have to add the following line in /etc/modules.conf :
options ide-cd dma=1
You can also download and compile your own kernel (not a redhat kernel) to be able to turn on dma.
Keep reading to see what else you need to do to turn on dma.
end NOTE RedHat 8.0

Check with hdparm (hdparm -d <device name>) if you have enabled DMA on the DVD drive.
hdparm -d 1 <device name> to turn dma on. The link above will explain n more detail.
If you have enabled DMA and it still is choppy and you have an nVidia card see also FAQ 38.
If you have enabled DMA and it still is choppy or dma keeps turning off and you have a VIA chipset (mostly amd users) try with hdparm -d 1 -X34 <device name> to use another dma mode.
NOTE: In redhat7.3 DMA is default OFF for cd/dvd drives
The official way to turn change this is to create a file named /etc/sysconfig/harddiskhdc (the hdc at the end should be replaced with the device name for you DVD). Use the contents of /etc/sysconfig/harddisks as a template. The rc.sysinit script will apply the contents of /etc/sysconfig/harddisks to hard drives only, but if it sees a file for a specific drive, it will apply it to that drive even if it is not a hard drive.
NOTE: If you run debian, make sure you use the ogle-mmx package if you are running on x86.
==============================================
arise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-02, 01:25 PM   #15
Euphoria
--- ephor ---

Quote:
Originally posted by arise
To be able to turn on DMA _at all_ you have to add the following line in /etc/modules.conf :
options ide-cd dma=1
That part worked fine for me
Now I have the CDROM at UDMA 4.

Thx
Euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-02, 05:33 PM   #16
kappax

use mplayer for dvix, and then use ogle for dvd playback
kappax is offline   Reply With Quote