Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-14-04, 03:13 PM   #1
justin@techscro
Techscroll

Question Trouble installing Nvidia Driver on Mandrake10.0

I have a clean install of Mandrake 10.0 and I am attempting to install the NVidia driver for my GeForceFX 5200. I ran the installer package and it installer properly. However when I edit the XF86Config-4 file to use the "nvidia" driver and reboot, it overwrites my changes and sets it back to "nv". It's probably something silly, but I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Justin
justin@techscro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-04, 04:15 PM   #2
chrismortimore

Default Re: Trouble installing Nvidia Driver on Mandrake10.0

I don't know much about Mandrake, but does it have one of those wee programs that looks after your system configuration files? I've noticed some of those distros that have all the nice pretty stuff to make it easier to use seem to have silly things like that. It might be something like that that is looking at the config file and going "Hey, I never changed it" and restoring it to a backuped state. Consult the Mandrake docs, it'll probably (possibly, maybe.... hopefully........) say if it has something like that. Worst comes to worst, use another distro :P:P

Or, what you could do is keep your changed XF86Config-4 file somewhere else, and put a script in startup that copies the changed one to override the one that is used (if that makes any sense.....). If you make it run as the very last item, then it should (maybe) be ok.
Old 07-14-04, 05:17 PM   #3
justin@techscro
Techscroll

It is possible they have a config manager or something, I wouldn't know where to find it though. I'm not sure how helpful the documentation is going to be, because it is such a small feature it may be difficult to locate. Anyhow, I have also noticed something else. After I installed the nvidia drivers, when I am in KDE and I run any program and then close the program, it pops up and says the program crashed. Every program is doing this when I close it or the system shuts down. I already uninstalled it and it fixed the problem. I tried to reinstall it and I'm having the exact same problem. Ah well, perhaps I will try a different distro, though I'd hate to waste the time I spent on it already.
Old 07-14-04, 06:50 PM   #4
justin@techscro
Techscroll

I think I figured it out.
I disabled the Boot splash screen and removed all the options I set for the graphics card and I got it to load the correct driver. So, I'm assuming thats what did it. Thanks for your help, that was a rather odd problem.
Old 07-15-04, 03:48 AM   #5
jaume

I have the same Geforce 5200 FX and on Red Hat 9. By default, Red Hat have a "nv" driver for nvidia cards, without 3d acceleration hardware.
I install the driver 4496, 5336, or 6106 on kernel 2.4.20 and change the "nv" by "nvidia" and start the XWindow. The Nvidia logo in full screen, login, ... and the screen will block in a few seconds.
How I can use the 3d acceleration hardware of FX 5200? Motherboard Sis 630/730, 900Mhz, >600MB DIM

May be your Mandrake change automatically nvidia by nv because nvidia cause problems in your configuration.
jaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-04, 06:35 AM   #6
chrismortimore

If you're getting an nvidia logo and you can login then it isn't an nvidia problem. I had major problems when I used Redhat, for some reason after a while it started doing stupid things, like the problem you're having. Hence, I switched to debian which has been doing me strong for many years now. Granted I was using redhat 7.3, but my bro used redhat 9 and it started doing silly things after a while.