Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-13-04, 04:30 PM   #1
duraid

Unhappy NV's naughty Itanium scam ;)

Dear nvidia,

Can you please stop crippling your Linux Itanium drivers? (Just so everyone knows: NV have a dirty little secret. Their linux IA64 driver works just great in 2D, no matter what card you have, but unless you buy a quadro card, you don't get any 3D acceleration. How nice of them...)

Thanks. Hope someone up there is listening...
duraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-04, 12:42 AM   #2
SuLinUX

Default Re: NV's naughty Itanium scam ;)

Well the ltanium is meant for server and thats sort of work and NOT desktop, You've really got to be really silly to use it for anything else.

Nvidia are right to only enable 3D with Quadro card for the IA64, so go and learn rather more about the ltanium.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-04, 01:48 AM   #3
mariuz
Albino penguin

Wink Re: NV's naughty Itanium scam ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duraid
Dear nvidia,

Can you please stop crippling your Linux Itanium drivers? (Just so everyone knows: NV have a dirty little secret. Their linux IA64 driver works just great in 2D, no matter what card you have, but unless you buy a quadro card, you don't get any 3D acceleration. How nice of them...)

Thanks. Hope someone up there is listening...
Nasty boy you want to play games on itanium
Old 04-14-04, 06:28 AM   #4
Forge
X to the 64th power

Duraid - I'll trade you a nice Quadro FX for your old Itaniums. :P

(Just kidding!)
Vargr Prime: AMD Opteron 280 *2 | 4096MB Corsair Value reg/ECC | GeForce 7950GX2 | Dual WD Raptor 74GB | Dual Seagate 320GB 7200.10 | Samsung/TSST 18X DVDRW | Chaintech AV-710 | Thermaltake Armor 8000 | PCP&C Turbo-Cool 1KW | Supermicro H8DCE v3.1 | Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers
Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-04, 09:06 PM   #5
Corona688

Quote:
Originally Posted by duraid
Dear nvidia,

Sheesh, and here I was jealous of 5336 being available for ia64 already when us poor Opteroners are stuck with a very broken variant of 5332. At least it THEORETICALLY supports hw accel.
Corona688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-04, 09:15 PM   #6
Forge
X to the 64th power

Not to worry, a little birdy says we'll all get GeForce 6800 capable drivers within the next month. With any luck we'll also get the 64/32bit compatibility layer NV has been hinting at, too.
Vargr Prime: AMD Opteron 280 *2 | 4096MB Corsair Value reg/ECC | GeForce 7950GX2 | Dual WD Raptor 74GB | Dual Seagate 320GB 7200.10 | Samsung/TSST 18X DVDRW | Chaintech AV-710 | Thermaltake Armor 8000 | PCP&C Turbo-Cool 1KW | Supermicro H8DCE v3.1 | Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers
Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-04, 07:58 AM   #7
duraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Sheesh, and here I was jealous of 5336 being available for ia64 already when us poor Opteroners are stuck with a very broken variant of 5332. At least it THEORETICALLY supports hw accel.
Well I shouldn't complain too much, I have a quadro 980 XGL now and it works beautifully (3200x1200 in LCDs = joy)

pixel shaders buy me a lot for the work i'm doing though (volume rendering) so it would be really nice to have a GF FX or 6800... and i dont even want to think how much a quadro 6800 ultra is going to cost!

having said that, the 53.36 drivers work beautifully on ia64. rock solid and fast.
duraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-04, 02:32 PM   #8
kauschovar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forge
Not to worry, a little birdy says we'll all get GeForce 6800 capable drivers within the next month.
I hope that little birdy is right?
kauschovar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-04, 04:30 PM   #9
CrLf
Linux Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
Well the ltanium is meant for server and thats sort of work and NOT desktop, You've really got to be really silly to use it for anything else.

Nvidia are right to only enable 3D with Quadro card for the IA64, so go and learn rather more about the ltanium.
Say what? If I have a card on a machine I expect it to work and not have drivers artificially disabling it. What I do with my machine is my business, if I want to play games on a Itanium workstation I can. So, nvidia shouldn't disable suport for any card that works on Itanium just because they want it to. What's next? Microsoft wanting to restrict what we do with our computers... wait...
Old 07-25-04, 05:57 PM   #10
Jondice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forge
Not to worry, a little birdy says we'll all get GeForce 6800 capable drivers within the next month. With any luck we'll also get the 64/32bit compatibility layer NV has been hinting at, too.
Just wondering, but where are the hints? And is there already a layer for non-opengl programs (I don't yet own my own itanium machine, I just work on an HP-UX/itanium system remotely ... but I'm thinking about getting one)? Seems like HP or Intel should be writing the layer, not nvidia ... having said that, nvidia has pretty good drivers so I'm sure I'll be happy if that's the case.

Also, has anyone tried HP's Nvidia drivers for IA64/Linux on a non HP system? I know they are newer, but how do they compare?
Jondice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-04, 10:43 AM   #11
zorinlynx

I think it's silly to seperate systems into "server" and "workstation" classes. It irritates me when fast as hell, yet reasonably cheap systems called "servers" lack AGP slots and thus can't be used as "workstations" as easily.

This whole Itanium thing... Isn't it natural that someone would want to use a nice fast Itanium box as a gaming system? Why cripple it intentionally?

Any system can be a server or a workstation; it all depends on what software you run on it. Could we knock it off with these artificial restrictions?

Big vendors like Dell and Gateway are most guilty in this department.. Try getting a nice Poweredge with RAID and an AGP slot. HAH!

-Z
zorinlynx is offline   Reply With Quote