Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-14-02, 03:48 PM   #1
wharfrat

Default How do I use the "New" rpms supplied by nvidia for RedHat 8

Hi all,
I'm really new to Linux and have a laptop with GeForce 2GO on it. I've read lots of the posts about RedHat 8, but none of them seems to talk to the RPM (the single one on http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_nforce_1.0-0246)
Are these not the drivers to use? If they are, how do you use them? I've installed the RedHat 8, but nothing changes in the "display" configuration window. What do I need to do to get this to work?
Thanks in advance for your help
Old 11-14-02, 04:01 PM   #2
bwkaz

Those are nForce drivers, for nForce chipset motherboards. Is that what your laptop has, an nForce chipset? If not, those aren't going to do you any good.

If you want 3D acceleration for your nVidia video card, then you need the drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=li...splay_1.0-3123 -- the nForce ones, AFAIK, don't do anything for video.

From that download page that you linked to:

Quote:
This page contains drivers and documentation for the nForce chipset. The chipset includes hardware support for IDE disk control, ethernet networking, audio support, win modem support, and a USB controller. These packages have support for ethernet networking and basic ACI audio. USB and IDE hardware will work with standard Linux drivers. There is no win modem support.
Nothing regarding 3D video anywhere.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-02, 04:04 PM   #3
wharfrat

Default thank you

Thanks,
That answers my question, that's not the hardware I have.
Peace,