Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-31-04, 06:50 AM   #25
SuLinUX

Default Re: Stable Hardware Configurations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyX
I didn't say I don't believe you. What I meant was I have a hard time believing you based on my own experiences, but I want to believe you. All I want to know is how can I be sure, but that seems to be a stupid question so just forget about it. I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

You make it seem like you believe the NVIDIA driver is perfect and that anyone who experiences a problem must have a messed up configuration or doesn't know what they're doing. Just because you don't experience a problem doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

That's good then. Your feedback is appreciated. I will keep your configuration in mind, although I'm starting to consider an Intel system based on the replies in this thread.
The nvidia driver has been pretty much perfect for me, of course other people will have issues but that goes the same for WIndows as well and they are WHQL. No one has a crystal ball to tell you if a config will be perfect without issues, even on Windows the same applies. The difference is with Windows the hardware "supposed" to work but quiet often dont, Linux has hardware support in the kernel and it's extreemly stable considering.

It's also worth saying that alot of people missconcieve linux being unstable with Window managers crashing, X failing, apps locking and nvidia driver issues. These parts are independed of Linux kernel itself and the blame lies with them, because you can useally get out of it via other means.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0

Last edited by SuLinUX; 07-31-04 at 07:00 AM.
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-04, 07:04 AM   #26
arokh

Seriously, in my opinion 90% of the time when someone has a "problem" with the nvidia driver, it's either not the nvidia driver, or it's the user doing something he shouldn't. Like using an unsupported kernel feature (4K stacks, REGPARM, whatever). Or something's just not configured right.

I've been an nvidia user as far as I can remember, I've been using the drivers from the start when they first became available, my cards have been everything from Riva TNT to Geforce 1 and now Geforce FX. Believe it or not, NO PROBLEMS. Everything from VIA chipsets to nForce, they all work fine.

[~]$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.8-rc2-ck6 (root@mordor.fake.net) (gcc version 3.4.1) #1 Fri Jul 23 19:53:02 CEST 2004

[~]$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver: AGPGART
AGP Rate: 8x
Fast Writes: Enabled
SBA: Enabled

My card is also overclocked to the max.
Old 07-31-04, 07:17 AM   #27
SuLinUX

By the way, people think siting at the console looking at the login something has gone wrong, but your looking at Linux. Alot of people dont realize that you have to recompile the nvidia driver or resetup your display when changing/updating kernel.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-04, 09:39 AM   #28
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

apparently, mine is not a stable configuration

lol, i've had so many problems; but i don't think it's the hardware configuration, i think it's the software.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-04, 11:11 AM   #29
arokh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel
apparently, mine is not a stable configuration

lol, i've had so many problems; but i don't think it's the hardware configuration, i think it's the software.
You might wanna try switching to a mainstream distribution.
Old 07-31-04, 12:17 PM   #30
energyman76b

@Kamel:

you want to stop oc'ing.

OC'ing is the main cause for probs and NOTHING is guaranteed to work when oc'ed.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote