Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-24-04, 07:36 PM   #1
Mr. Ping

Default Hang on SuSE 9.0/9.1 - Multiple drivers

Hi,

I have been using NVIDIA based cards on Linux for quite a while and, have become a loyal customer of NVIDIA based cards. Until now, I have never had a single problem with NVIDIA and I have had nothing but praise for NVIDIA.

I have not seen anyone else report a similar problem, so I started a new thread, hope that was OK.

System is based on an MSI NEO Platinum MB using an Athlon 64 2800 CPU and contains an Asus V9250Magic/128MB FX5200 card. The graphics card works perfectly with SuSE 9.0 for AMD64 using the 6106 drivers (and 5336, I believe). The graphics card/X does not work at all when using SuSE 9.0 for IA32 with the nvidia driver (Note I have several systems of various types, all running different versions of SuSE). When X starts, the screen goes blank (sometimes with a brief flash) and then I can't escape out of X with CTRl-ALT-DEL, CTRL-ALT-F1, etc. I can still shell into the system using SSH after X appears to crash. The .X.err file shows nothing of significance (IMHO). I have also tried using both sax2 and the XF86Config file that worked with SuSE 9.0 for AMD64. The card also works just fine with the stock VESA driver on IA32. I have also seen the same problem with SuSE 9.1 (AMD64 install and IA32 install, what I originally purchased for this system). I have also tried various BIOS settings involving AGP and have run testgart on the system under at least one nonfunctioning configuration with good status returned.

For several reasons, I really need to run the system using a kernel compiled for IA32 (I need to run with non-stock kernel modules that only build on IA32).

You will find the file nvidia-bug-report.txt, and XF86Config.txt attached.

Thank you very much in advance,

"Mr. Ping"
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.txt (57.9 KB, 222 views)
File Type: txt XF86Config.txt (4.3 KB, 179 views)
Mr. Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-04, 01:07 AM   #2
Mr. Ping

Unhappy Re: Hang on SuSE 9.0/9.1 - Multiple drivers

Also,

Disabling ACPI makes no difference.

"Mr. Ping"
Old 07-25-04, 02:26 AM   #3
can|s|_ycan

Default Re: Hang on SuSE 9.0/9.1 - Multiple drivers

Yep, same problem here. The only thing that I've been able to do to stabilize the system is use option NvAGP 1 in the config file:

:/etc/X11> grep NvAGP XF86Config
Option "NvAGP" "1"

Unfortunately, There doesn't seem to be an option to build agpgart as a module so with the SuSE kernels it is built right in. I think this may be the source of our problems because when I run glxgears with agp enabled the frames keep going and going until my box hangs. Something like 5000, 7000, 9000, hang.

Its almost like it there's no cap on the bandwidth...Maybe a bug in the nvidia driver or agpgart, or some interaction between the two....totally guessing here...

Oddly, NvAGP 0 didn't work for me (That I can remember...did I even try that?...I think so...). Anyway, the NvAGP "1" option got me past the black screen of death when trying to start X. The bad thing is that it disables AGP for me:

:/proc/driver/nvidia/agp> cat status
AGP initialization failed, please check the ouput
of the 'dmesg' command and/or your system log file
for additional information on this setup problem.

Not having AGP really sucks because it drops my in-game frames from about 80-100 fps to 10-20. I've tried the 2.6.7 kernel, suse default, suse patched, random posted fixes here and elsewhere. Nothing stabailzed things for me except setting this option.

Some advice, don't really on sax2. Edit your X config file manually when setting up the nvidia driver. (In this case anyway...)

Next step is to recom the kernel without agpgart and try to use NvAGP.
can|s|_ycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-04, 03:13 PM   #4
Mr. Ping

Talking Re: Hang on SuSE 9.0/9.1 - Multiple drivers

Thanks can|s|_ycan,

The problem does appear to be related to the kernel and AGP; I agree. I did not try setting NvAGP to 1, but did try patching the kernel with the nvgart patches (My MB has the NVIDIA NForce chipset as well); unfortunately, none of the patches match the kernel version I'm using. I did not attempt to reverse engineer the patch and apply it manually to the kernel.

The fact that the card works perfectly with the AMD64 version of SuSE 9.0 also points to some kind of interaction with the kernel.

"Mr. Ping"
Old 08-02-04, 12:35 AM   #5
Mr. Ping

Update: No resolution yet.

I should make a correction regarding the initial post. In the initial post, I stated that the board works with the vesa driver, I was incorrect. The board only seems to work with the fbdev driver. Also, when using the fbdev driver, the system runs painfully slow and appears to be constantly doing something w/ the HD (what and why is an unknown).

So to update, here's the combinations that work/don't work for me:

SuSE 9.0 for AMD 64:
Nvidia driver works well.
vesa driver fails
nv driver fails (hangs with cruft on the screen)
Have not tried the fbdev driver.

This is true both with the default kernel (as supplied on the DVD) and the latest updated kernel from SuSE.

SuSE 9.0 for IA32:
Nvidia driver fails (hangs system)
vesa driver hangs system
nv driver fails (hangs with cruft on the screen)
nv driver with UseFBDev set to true also hangs with cruft
fbdev driver works, but system appears to have lots of odd behaviour.

I have also tried disabling APIC in the BIOS (real elsewhere that people have had similar problems that would appear to be resolved with this fix), manually loading (and not loading) the agpgart module. Trying different Option "NvAGP" "..." settings, etc.

I have also tried running other distros (Mandrake 10.0) but find that they fail miserably on this HW for other reasons (can't see the HD controller, can't see the USB controllers, problems talking w/ the keyboard & mouse, etc.) and am thus stuck w/ SuSE.

I have also tried another NVidia based card that I own (from another machine). This card also failed similarly for at least several of the cases above.

As a note to everyone: If you plan to use NVidia graphics cards, I would strongly recommend against using an MSI Neo Platinum MB . The board seems to be highly problematic with NVIDIA (surprising since it's based on the nforce chipset) and Linux in general. This is even more surprising as most of the hardware should be supported (at least if the nforce drivers are used).

Mr. Ping
Old 08-02-04, 02:39 AM   #6
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Did you check if system behavior improves with a recent Linux/x86 2.6 kernel (e.g. Linux 2.6.6)?
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-04, 11:03 PM   #7
Mr. Ping

Hi,

Thanks for the reply Zander. I did briefly try SuSE 9.1 (I purchased a copy for this system) which installs a 2.6 kernel by default (Don't remember the kernel version right now). Did not work either as an AMD64 based install or as an IA32 based install. I did not pursue it any further as some of the other software I plan to run on this system does not (yet) run on a 2.6 kernel (did not know that when I purchased the copy of SuSE 9.1) and I want to limit the extent of the hacking needed to get this system working.

At this point I can run most of what I need on AMD64 install of SuSE 9.0. I am finding that MythTV, IvTV and lirc are all problematic on AMD64 (MythTV has problems with the live TV playback, no stable IvTV build exists for AMD64 and lircd segfaults on AMD64), but at least I have the source for these and the amount of hacking required appears to be somewhat less. If I could get an IA32 install to work, then IvTV, lirc and MythTV would likely be a lot less problematic and I could install some of the old Games I purchased from Loki, but don't have installed on any system, thus making my HTPC *really* sweet.

Mr. Ping