Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-04, 10:15 AM   #1
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Unhappy Doom3 Died!!!!

i turned d3 into windowed mode (as i've done plenty in the past), and it just died on me... i got an illegal operation. i tried to start d3 again, and it crashes without even attempting to load

anyone else have this problem? i need my fix
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 10:19 AM   #2
kahloq

Default Re: Doom3 Died!!!!

copy your saved games and reinstall then place your saved games back in the folder where they should be....not responsible if the save games dont show up tho as Ive not tried this as Ive had no need.
OCZ pc3500 performance 2 gig memory
OCZ 520 watt PSU
Asus p4c800deluxe-e motherboard
2 x 80g Sata HD's / 1 x 60g IDE / 1 x 40 g IDE
1 x DVD / 1 x lite on cdrw
7 case fans plus vantec dual fan pci card
BFG 6800 Ultra OC 456/1.28 Stock air
3.2P4(no OC)3dmark03 score :13570
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195131
3.2 p4 @3.472 217FSB 6800u@ 425/1.28 3Dmark03: 13738
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195221
WIFES PC: 3.2P4/BFG 6800GT/1 gig pc 3200
kahloq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 10:24 AM   #3
Vash
Angel Arms

You might also consider deleting your Doom config file. I haven't played since Monday night , so I don't remember if it has a .cfg file, but I wouldn't be surprised at all. The windowed mode option should be in there somewhere. Deleting the file will force D3 to create a new, generic one.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 10:28 AM   #4
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

i think your computer got scared.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 11:00 AM   #5
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

thanks for the idea vash, i actually just edited my shortcut to +set r_fullscreen 1 in order to put it back into full screen and that didn't work... maybe if i set to fullscreen and reboot it will fix.

i would have had it already reinstalled, but i am afraid of what might happen to my savegames, lol
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Old 08-04-04, 11:41 AM   #6
Vash
Angel Arms

No problem. Sorry to hear it didn't work... as far as your savegames go, they'll be fine if you move 'em to a different folder, reinstall, and move 'em back. I've been doing this with games for years; save files are, for the most part, fully contained. They just need to be in the right directory.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 11:46 AM   #7
kahloq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
No problem. Sorry to hear it didn't work... as far as your savegames go, they'll be fine if you move 'em to a different folder, reinstall, and move 'em back. I've been doing this with games for years; save files are, for the most part, fully contained. They just need to be in the right directory.
That is generally true, however, I have had some games where that approach didnt work and the game didnt recognize any saved games after a reinstall. Something like a registry addition inside the game itself telling to look up a specific file. Without that registry addition inside the game itself(not the computers windows registry), it has no reference for a savegame. Remember, usually the approach works, but some games it doesnt. Thats why I gave a warning.
OCZ pc3500 performance 2 gig memory
OCZ 520 watt PSU
Asus p4c800deluxe-e motherboard
2 x 80g Sata HD's / 1 x 60g IDE / 1 x 40 g IDE
1 x DVD / 1 x lite on cdrw
7 case fans plus vantec dual fan pci card
BFG 6800 Ultra OC 456/1.28 Stock air
3.2P4(no OC)3dmark03 score :13570
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195131
3.2 p4 @3.472 217FSB 6800u@ 425/1.28 3Dmark03: 13738
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195221
WIFES PC: 3.2P4/BFG 6800GT/1 gig pc 3200
kahloq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 12:09 PM   #8
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

grrr... i got doom to work, but my sound is ****ed now. i am assuming this all has something to do with me adjusting the hardware acceleration for d3... i had the problem where it cut out from time to time so i did as activision said and now when i try to play something i must turn my speakers all the way up for it to even be audible; i have tried using the speaker wizard again, i've tried reinstalling the drivers, i've tried everything. this is a global problem with windows, not just d3.

grrr, i'm very upset, i didn't do anything to deserve this

Old 08-04-04, 12:13 PM   #9
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

yay! it's a bug in nvidia's drivers, lol... i took the despirate approach of clicking every damn thing there is and see what happens; when i clicked night mode on it went really loud, then i clicked night mode off and it returned to normal (normal being normal volumes)

yay! i fixed it, i was really worried there for a sec i'd done something that couldn't be fixed without a reformat, lol.
Old 08-04-04, 05:33 PM   #10
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

My doom 3 wouldn't work this morning either... so i rebooted hoping that would fix it, and it did.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote