Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-04, 09:00 PM   #1
ZaMoose

Default Gainward FX5700 - Unable to use OGL Subsystem

Hey all:
I just moved from a GeForce 4400 to a Gainward "Golden Sample" FX5700 card and I'm having a terrible time with any 3D apps. I have a dual 1900+ Athlon MP box (Tyan Thunder K7 w/2.14 BIOS) with 1GB RAM, SBLive!, Intel LAN adapter, 2 SCSI HD drives, two optical drives, all fed by a 460 Watt PS.

I used to be able to play UT2k4, Chromium, Quake 3, etc. when I had the GF4 in the box. Now, however, with the FX5700 installed, every time I go to start up UT, it freezes as soon as I get to the menu. Chromium's sound starts, but all of X hangs (I retain control of my mouse but nothing else). I am able to ssh in to the box and a quick "top" reveals that X is gobbling 100% of one CPU and chromium/UT/etc. is gobbling 100% of the other CPU. I can kill off the apps, but I am unable to kill X and the display won't come back until I reboot the machine.

I have also noticed that, while I used to be able to dual boot to Win2k, now, I can get no further than the "Starting Windows" screen with the white ASCII progress bar. As soon as the Win2k splash goes to load, the machine immediately resets itself back to the video BIOS.

Any suggestions? I'm very frustrated - I'd love to get the FX working.
ZaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 09:55 PM   #2
ricercar
fugue master

Default Re: Gainward FX5700 - Unable to use OGL Subsystem

What linux distro are you using? What NVIDIA driver versions?
Old 08-03-04, 10:00 PM   #3
ZaMoose

Sorry, that would have been relevant, wouldn't it?

I've had the same thing occur under Fedora Cores 1 and 2 and 5336 and 6106.
Old 08-04-04, 10:02 AM   #4
ZaMoose

Additional info: I've run memtests overnight and have had zero flaws detected. The Gainward card in question has dual DVI out (I'm using a DVI-to-VGA adaptor to go to my monitor). It has an external power feed (most FX's do, don't they?) but I don't think my problems have anything to do with power, as the machine itself stays up, it's just the X subsystem that locks up and becomes unresponsive.
Old 08-04-04, 05:03 PM   #5
ZaMoose

Hmmmm. I seem to get a bit further with NvAGP set to "1", but it still freezes on me. *sigh*
Old 08-04-04, 06:27 PM   #6
ricercar
fugue master

Your problem description matches what happened to me when I had an inadequate PSU on a FX 5800 Ultra. However, the 5700U uses far less juice than the 5800U and a 460W should be good.

I'm intrigued that your problems appear in both Linux and Windows. Have you tried re-installing the GF4 to see if the problems persist or are cured in either platform?