Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-01-04, 06:36 PM   #25
Goth

Default Re: Game patch sizes - out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeo Deus
Uhhh... Who the hell has dial up anymore? I know only 1 person that does personally, and I know a lot of people.

In other words, who cares what the patch sizes are? I like how new content is added and stuff after release, i.e. the Battlefield series, etc.
Boys in the woods still have dial up
BFG 6800 Ultra OC
Maxtor 80GB ATA133
Sony 16X DVD RW
WinTV 250
SuperFlower 550w PSU 30A 12V Rail
WinXP x64
Goth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-04, 09:28 PM   #26
LycosV

I think patches should be patches, and new content should be seperated to bonus packs. Patches should be small, bonus packs can be however large they want. I was reading about the latest WC3 patch, it changes a few unit balances, adds nothing, and weighs in at twenty-something megs! That's insanity, it's freaking unit balancing people, they could do it with a small script file. Anyway, I agree: out of control.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-04, 09:53 PM   #27
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Doesn't that Warcraft 3 patch contain all the previous upgrades and content from the previous versions though? Using the auto-updater it only took me a minute or so to get on my 56k, so it couldn't have been more than a few hundred kilobytes to update from the previous version. But since the previous upgrades contained 2 extra campaigns and a few extra units, to make the newest update standalone you would need to include those things.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 10:05 AM   #28
DarkKeeper

I don't really have a problem with the patches, the size is getting pretty big but I don't mind waiting. I seldom have problems with my games anyway I only download the patches to prevent any from happening.

I've never had any issues with patches, most of the time it's seamless installs and I rarely notice the difference from before the patch was installed.
DarkKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 10:50 AM   #29
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Doesn't that Warcraft 3 patch contain all the previous upgrades and content from the previous versions though? Using the auto-updater it only took me a minute or so to get on my 56k, so it couldn't have been more than a few hundred kilobytes to update from the previous version. But since the previous upgrades contained 2 extra campaigns and a few extra units, to make the newest update standalone you would need to include those things.
whoa..extra campaigns and units? How many units and where are these campaigns? I know they added that new neutral hero for purchase that the Taverns, but there were other units, too?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 03:30 PM   #30
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Well they also had a few campaign-specific units in the patch as well, but I don't think they added any other regular units that can be used in multiplayer aside from the Goblin Tinker. The campaign I was talking about is parts 2 and 3 of the Orc part of the game, in the retail release only part 1 was availible. They also had new voice clips and such for the campaign. I'm pretty sure the data for the extra campaign levels uses up 90% of the patch sizes.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 01:07 AM   #31
Son Goku

Default Game Companies aren't the only ones

While discussing patch file limits (I'm on DSL, so no biggie for me); it would be remiss to not mention Microsoft and their Service Packs I remember when Service Pack 3 for Windows NT 4.0 was only 17.5 MB...and yes I was on dialup then. Now, looking at my Service Packs directory for Windows XP...

Quote:
E:\users\Son_Goku\Service_Pack>dir
Volume in drive E has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 5435-8612

Directory of E:\users\Son_Goku\Service_Pack

06/17/2004 05:12 PM <DIR> .
06/17/2004 05:12 PM <DIR> ..
09/09/2002 05:50 AM 140,440,152 xpsp1_en_x86.exe
06/17/2004 05:11 PM 277,197,032 xpSP2.exe
2 File(s) 417,637,184 bytes
2 Dir(s) 4,881,261,568 bytes free

E:\users\Son_Goku\Service_Pack>
That's RC2 for SP2, as it's RTMed already...we'll see the final soon.

Anyone want to hazzard a guess at what Service Pack 3 (whenever we see it) might weigh in at?
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 02:43 AM   #32
evilchris

Programmers are definitely more lazy now. They know they have gigabytes of RAM and HD space available on their target platforms, and no longer produce "tight" code. Back when you had a 386 and 4MB of RAM stuff was tight!

Old 08-04-04, 12:13 PM   #33
LycosV

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeda
Programmers are definitely more lazy now. They know they have gigabytes of RAM and HD space available on their target platforms, and no longer produce "tight" code. Back when you had a 386 and 4MB of RAM stuff was tight!
I think you just nailed it.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 02:42 PM   #34
eL_PuSHeR

Wink Re: Game patch sizes - out of control

I second that...
Creative GeForce4 Ti4200
Integrated CMI8738 audio
eL_PuSHeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 03:42 AM   #35
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy

I remember when video drivers were 2-6MBs.

Using GetRight + 56K dialup here would've have worked. The freenet thru the library system would disconnect you after 3 hours at first. When more people signed up for accounts, that changed to 1 hour. Paying for a local dial-up ISP didn't help much as the longest you could stay connected was 4 hours. Some of those ISPs folded or were bought by larger conglomerates that required payment by check or credit card (I only used cash). Those small mom-and-pop ISPs that were left sucked balls, leaving me without much of an alternative. My last dial-up ISP was Earthlink ...