Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-15-02, 05:11 PM   #1
pollux

Unhappy geforce3 & framebuffer

Hi,

i've installed the 3123 drivers without problems on my debian box
I'm trying to get framebuffer (with rivafb module), it seems to work, great !
Now I boot in framebuffer, start X and come back ton tty1 .. still no problem. But if I try to get back on X the screen gets blurred and the system freezes, even the sysReq keys does not work !

Are the nvidia and rivafb modules incompatible ? Is it a bad support of the framebuffer for the gf 3 ?

The 2 modules seems to work perfectly, but only if not loaded at the same time.

If someone can help me ...

I tried with X version 4.0 and 4.1, kernel 2.4.18, 2.4.19-ac4, rivafb compiled in module or in kernel, etc. and the problem is still there

My config:

GeForce 3 Ti500
MB Asus p4b533, p4 2ghz
pollux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-02, 05:29 PM   #2
bwkaz

Yes, rivafb and the nVidia XFree86 drivers are totally incompatible. You don't want to control one piece of hardware from two independently-written drivers at the same time; you will run into problems trying that.

You can still have a high-resolution framebuffer, though. If instead of rivafb you use vesafb, you shouldn't run into those kinds of problems -- I don't, and that's what I run, vesafb and the nVidia X drivers.

In the kernel configuration, pick "Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers", then under "Console drivers", turn on both "VGA text console" and "Video mode selection support". Then, under "Frame-buffer support", say yes to "VESA VGA graphics console", and say no to everything else. Then you should be able to use a high-res framebuffer console.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 06:41 AM   #3
pollux

Ok, it works fine now

I did not really undertand how the framebuffer works for the gf3, so i compiled rivafb (which supports gf3 according to the docs) AND vesafb at the same time.
I just removed riva.

The last thing i'm looking for is how to change the refresh rate

Thank you for your help
pollux is offline   Reply With Quote