Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-05-04, 12:17 AM   #1
Severian126
Y SO SRS?

Default Doom 3...sound problems

I'm experiencing some sound problems with Doom 3. I'm using a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 card with the latest drivers, and running a Geforce 6800 U from PNY w/ Forceware 61.77 w/ Direct X 9.0c. While playing, the sound will just simply disappear altogether. I can get it back by hitting ESC, going to the SYSTEMS menue, and turning Surround off, then on again. Anybody else having this problem? It's really annoying, but the game is so good, so far I haven't stopped playing. Though of course, at times it can be a blessing because because the game is spooky as hell, heh.
Severian126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 12:30 AM   #2
ChrisRay

Default Re: Doom 3...sound problems

Moved this thread to the Doom 3 discussion, as it had nothing to do with Nvidia graphic cards.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 07:48 AM   #3
The Boatman

I've read that this problem is caused by not selecting 5.1 in the 'Sounds and Audio Devices' tab in Control Panel; apparently in D3 you need to do this rather than selecting 5.1 from the Creative icon in the taskbar, because in D3 this isn't synchronized with Control Panel. Haven't tested this myself, mind.
The Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 08:08 AM   #4
doobie

I had the same problem with Far Cry until I did what Boatman just described. You need to make sure you have the right setting for the speakers you are using (5.1, 4.1, 2.1, etc) in Windows control panel under sounds and multimedia. Hopefully that will get you fixed up.

doobie
doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 10:12 AM   #5
Raptorman
Former Marine

Send a message via MSN to Raptorman Send a message via Yahoo to Raptorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boatman
I've read that this problem is caused by not selecting 5.1 in the 'Sounds and Audio Devices' tab in Control Panel; apparently in D3 you need to do this rather than selecting 5.1 from the Creative icon in the taskbar, because in D3 this isn't synchronized with Control Panel. Haven't tested this myself, mind.
Tried that. It doesn't work for me. I had to quit using the Audigy 2. That same problem occured in Joint Operations. It some kind of driver problem.

Currently, I'm using my onboard nForce 3 audio which I think is great.
Not As Mean, Not As Lean, But Still A Marine
Ramadi 2006, 22 MEU 2007
3rd Battalion 8th Marines WPNS CO
"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."
RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995
Raptorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 10:21 AM   #6
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

I had a similar problem and I was bashing my head trying to find a solution. After swapping my Audigy 2 from pci slot to the other, playing with all the windows sounds settings (of course set to 5.1), and making sure my drivers were up to date I found my solution. Having ATItool in my system tray was causing a lot of static and the sound would go on and off whenever it wanted (only in 5.1, not stereo). At first I thought it could somehow be related to my overclocked video card, but leaving it overclocked and closing ATItool fixed it. I realize you'll have 6800's, but perhaps shutting down everything you can in your system tray will solve the problem.
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 10:23 AM   #7
Raptorman
Former Marine

Send a message via MSN to Raptorman Send a message via Yahoo to Raptorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey74
I had a similar problem and I was bashing my head trying to find a solution. After swapping my Audigy 2 from pci slot to the other, playing with all the windows sounds settings (of course set to 5.1), and making sure my drivers were up to date I found my solution. Having ATItool in my system tray was causing a lot of static and the sound would go on and off whenever it wanted (only in 5.1, not stereo). At first I thought it could somehow be related to my overclocked video card, but leaving it overclocked and closing ATItool fixed it. I realize you'll have 6800's, but perhaps shutting down everything you can in your system tray will solve the problem.
Anyone tried disabling the nVIDIA Settings icon and run the game in 5.1?
Not As Mean, Not As Lean, But Still A Marine
Ramadi 2006, 22 MEU 2007
3rd Battalion 8th Marines WPNS CO
"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."
RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995
Raptorman is offline   Reply With Quote