Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-13-04, 07:12 PM   #1
asg

Question NVRM: restoring bus mastering

Hi to all. I would appreciate some help in the following issue. Please excuse my bad english.

I'm running Fedora Core 2 with Gnome 2.6 on a P4 machine with NVidia GeForce 4 MX420 video card. At some point (I think after running MPlayer) it takes quite a while to open new programs in X (up to 2 minutes sometimes), I mean new gedit or xterm, not CPU or memory intensive ones. I get the following message on the first text console:

NVRM: restoring bus mastering! (/tmp/selfgz2250/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:2146)

Actually this file is not on my disk

I'm not sure whether this is the problem, but I'd like to know what this message means anyway. I also get an error in my Xorg.0.log file (see attachments)

My machine:
- video card: NVidia GeForce 4 MX 420
- driver version: 1.0-6106
- distribution: Fedora Core 2 with all updates except kernel
- kernel version: 2.6.6-1.435
- video BIOS version: 04.17.00.45.af
- CPU: Pentium 4 at 2.4 GHz
- motherboard: Intel 845PE
- RAM: 256 MB (518 MB swap partition)

Thank you in advance
Attached Files
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (27.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (2.7 KB, 107 views)
asg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-04, 04:58 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: NVRM: restoring bus mastering

First the normal X problems. It seems that the GLX portion of the nvidia drivers isn't used at the moment because there are some xorg/mesa files left on your system. The first thing to do is "updatedb" and then delete all files like libGL.*, libGLcore.* and libglx.* (find them using locate). Don't delete files with different names like "libGLU.*. After that is done reinstall the nvidia drivers and edit your X configuration file. In it remove lines like Load "GLcore" and Load "dri".

That NVRM error is I think not really an error. It is just a message from the nvidia kernel module. The file it mentions is just the source file where this message was created in combination with the line number.

Personally I think the slowdowns on your system are caused by the fact that you don't have very much system memory (only 256MB). When your system is slow it is likely using a lot of SWAP memory (swap is lets say 1000x slower than ram). Monitor what happens using "top" at times your system is slow.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 03:28 PM   #3
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

Default Re: NVRM: restoring bus mastering

I just started having system hangs and I found entries in my /var/log/messages file like this:

Aug 5 15:14:56 buttercup NVRM: restoring bus mastering! (/tmp/selfgz6563/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:2146)

These messages are in my log file at the exact same time as my system hangs, so this is definately related to these.

This is the first time I have ever seen this. Not sure what is causing it. but a google search found this link. Anybody else experienced this and found a solution?

Thanks,
Ken
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote