Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-04, 04:37 PM   #1
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Default anyone here have finished Doom3?

THis thread is only for the people that finished the game
well.. dont post screenshots ,just asking to know your opinions about the single player. is DOom3 Sp far better than what you expected? what will be your rating in you were give the rak to review it in a magazine in terms of graphics/sound/gameplay/mutiplayer/etc.. ?
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 05:17 PM   #2
myshkinbob

Default Re: anyone here have finished Doom3?

I finished the game this afternoon, and all done, i think the game is pretty damn good. The hype that surrounded the game didn't do it too many favours; a lot of people were expecting something revolutionary, not evolutionary.

The fact that it's an evolution of the classic ID shooter sits great with me though. The reason i first bought a pc in '98 was because that year i saw quake2 running on a friends pc with a voodoo1, and i was amazed by it, it was so fluid and well produced, the game oozed quality. Playing doom3 the last couple of days took me right back there, it's so much like quake2 (singleplayer) to me. The grunts particularly reminded me of the grunts in q2, even the way they move. I've really enjoyed re-aquainting myself with all those weapons i used to have such fun with.

What's more, i've never found 'dark areas' in the maps of a game so annoying like this since quake2!

Aside from the general feel and production values, they're quite a few differences. This game is seriously scary at first, i was so jumpy during the first 1-2 hours of play that i had to take breaks every 15 minutes because playing it was so intense. by the time i was 4 hours into the game, i wasn't so irked by it all though, in fact the maps and gameplay got a bit tedious, there's only so many dark hallways full of imps you can take before you long for a change. Hours 4 to 8 of play (until you get to hell) would've got extremely repetitive but for one thing, the chainsaw. I spent 4 hours of play killing solely using the chainsaw, just rushing into rooms and sprinting into their faces. From hell onward to the end of the game, things get back on track and the game lives up to the standard set by the opening hour and a half of play.

Graphics - I played on a ti4200 at 800x600, and i was really quite impressed, it's not the same kind of beauty as FarCry, as everyone compares it to that, but nonetheless the graphics are just as amazing, only in a different way. Doom's textures are really quite good if they're all enabled (diffuse, bump, specular), and the lighting is the best in any game to date. The early levels are quite drab admittedly, but that's forgiveable.

Sound - Brilliant. The best sound work in a game ever, sets the atmosphere perfectly, and the guns DO have a punch to them, despite some arguments over that i've read. Put it this way, playing doom3 with a twin 12" subwoofer, those guns sound very meaty.

Gameplay - See above, just like quake2 but scarier.

Multiplayer - It's ok, nothing that impressive, the maps are too small, and they're aren't enough players allowed yet. Basically it's not fun for more than half an hour to try it out.
myshkinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 06:14 PM   #3
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

lol, i find myself not wanting to play much also (i haven't beaten the game) because it's too intense. i've actually done some things to add to the effect of it, and i think they have worked out quite well... making it even scarier, lol. one of them is enabling the DSP for my sound card to make it sound like i'm in a sewer pipe. not normally a fan of DSP, but holy crap this kicks the game up a notch or 4 in the audio category.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 06:58 PM   #4
Shadowalker

Just finished it on the default setting, still hard as hell, Dont think i will be sleeping will tonight, mayjust keep a flashlight on the floor next to the bed LOL
Shadowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 12:41 PM   #5
XP_GUN

Well I just finished the game and was really impressed hell it was awsome, good graftics played with your mind. The game ran super fast with my new GT never going below 30fps with it saying constinly around 40 to 60fps with everything on veryhigh and at 1280-1024. The only thing that I would of liked to see in the game was the pinky eating seen and the invation seen at E3.

In all I give it a 10/10 for scaring the s*** out of me.
Old 08-05-04, 01:55 PM   #6
Pafet
GeForce 7900GT

You can see parts of the alpha intro scene on the monitors when you complete your first mission finding that man.

BTW did you send the traasmission for backup or not? does it have any effect later? I didn't and was wondering...
Pafet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 02:01 PM   #7
gigapower

Send a message via AIM to gigapower

Pafet, I sent the transmission and the ending I got was:

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
Marines came into the base and were searching it and found the character passed out and then they take him away. After that Dr. Bertruger's face is show and then it winds up being a toungue in some huge flying demon thing, which looked AWESOME.

What was your ending?
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
SPOILER OFF
Old 08-05-04, 03:19 PM   #8
Phoking
I smell smoke..

Send a message via AIM to Phoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP_GUN
Well I just finished the game and was really impressed hell it was awsome, good graftics played with your mind. The game ran super fast with my new GT never going below 30fps with it saying constinly around 40 to 60fps with everything on veryhigh and at 1280-1024. The only thing that I would of liked to see in the game was the pinky eating seen and the invation seen at E3.

In all I give it a 10/10 for scaring the s*** out of me.
I was wondering if u guys could help me with something.. ive been playing this game at 1024 High and my game randomly freezes when i open doors and such like it was loading something and then it goes back to 60FPS.. does this happen with you guys? should i consider upgrading my memory to 1GB?

Old 08-05-04, 03:52 PM   #9
ClosetFanBoy
Thorazine shuffle

well, the original doom is what introduced me to pc gaming god only knows how long ago. (ok so i'm getting old) so hearing of doom 3 was very exciting for me. and with all my wonderful years of gaming expeirence, here is what i've learned to do, one:turn the hype meter off. two:dont run benchmarks etc. until i've finished the game (this can be distracting, espeacially if your not performing as expected). three: dont nitpick till i'm done. example - pressing my face agaisnt wall, zooming in on stuff, basically just focusing on gfx and forgetting there's a game to be played. four: i put myself in the characters shoes. it's funner this way, trust me.

now with all that out of the way, i thought it was a great game. i honestly had a chill or some hair standing up at all times. graphically it felt clean crisp and at times simply amazing. i have to say, some things really made me think of quake 2, and i really wonder if that was their original intention - doing a quake game. and yes, it easily lived up to my expectations. easy to do when i'm comparing to something i played 10-11-12 years ago? but other than that im fully satisfied. it did seem predictable as far as enemies went - at first. getting through the 1st few levels i kinda of knew what was going to happen and when, and just whe i got adjusted to that, they seemed to mix it up sound wise, i would hear something behind me or to the side, spin to see what it was, nothing, turn back around and of course something was there to scare the piss out of me. personally, i think they did a great job keeping it mixed up. the only time i found my self frustrated was visiting hell. i played on veteran mode and there for awhile, getting out of hell seemed impossible, there was little to no health and the attacks were non stop - so it seemed. maybe my mad skillz are dying with age. other than that, i had a great time and im thankful this was not one of those bug laden games that needed a patch the following day! from a 1 to 10 scale a 9.5 easily.

i think this is just a drop in the bucket. i cant wait to see what other developers bring forth with this engine.

iPhone junkie...
ClosetFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 04:02 PM   #10
gigapower

Send a message via AIM to gigapower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoking
I was wondering if u guys could help me with something.. ive been playing this game at 1024 High and my game randomly freezes when i open doors and such like it was loading something and then it goes back to 60FPS.. does this happen with you guys? should i consider upgrading my memory to 1GB?
Yes occassionally I'd have this happen to me, especially in the beginning parts of new levels. I also only have 512MB of RAM. On my friends PC with 1GB of RAM he said it never happened to him.
Old 08-05-04, 04:30 PM   #11
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Finished it yesterday and I thought the storyline was done pretty well. The last boss was GREAT but he was a bit easy (I was on the normal difficulty whatever it is called). I was a bit disappointed it was so short though... I heard 20-30 hours and I finished it in around 15 I believe. I guess I can't complain too much with games these days which will usually take just a few hours .
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 06:50 PM   #12
Pafet
GeForce 7900GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigapower
What was your ending?
The ending is the same. I believe the only difference is that I got yelled at by the arge for not following orders, and later the evil doc said he has sent the message himself.

On a side note, the sarge boss is cool! reminds me of super smash TV
Pafet is offline   Reply With Quote