Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-12-02, 10:27 PM   #1
nacrotek

Default nforce integrated video woes

After 2 distrobutions of linux and about 7 reinstalls and still not able to get any X session working I am about ready to throw this thing out the window.

I am using the Asus A7N266-VM with the integrated GeForce2 chipset and I have not been able to get drivers working for RH or Debian.

If anyone has had any success with this board or similar integrated nforce video please let me know how you did it.

Also the ethernet was a real pain in the @ss, but I got that part working....

Thanks for any help.
nacrotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-02, 03:48 PM   #2
david

Send a message via ICQ to david

I could've written that exact message. I'm having the same problems as u and I think I've got the same chipset only in Abit form. (see my almost identical post!)

I haven't gotten my X to work either so take with a pinch of salt; I picked this up from the troubleshooting in the manual and on this forum (I forget who posted it) but like I said, it hasn't worked for me:

If you don't know your kernel version

uname -r #this provides the kernel version in form x.y.zz
apt-cache search kernel-headers-x.y.zz
apt-get install kernel-headers-x.y.zz

cd /usr/src/NVIDIA_kernel
make SYSINCLUDE = /usr/src/usr/src/kernel-headers.x.y.zz
or:
make install SYSINCLUDE = /usr/src/usr/src/kernel-headers.x.y.zz

There seems to be some difference of opinion about that last command so I've given both. Since I haven't got that far, I haven't been able to test it!

My problem's been that I can't find the kernel-headers - so I've not been able to progress past stage 1.

If you make any progress let me in on the secret
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-02, 04:01 PM   #3
mj@change.co.nz

Send a message via ICQ to mj@change.co.nz
Default three blind mice

Hi guys, well you can add myself and a work associate to the list of people with the exact same problem. I'm running Mandrake 9 on my pc and my video and sound are fine...BUT!! I cannot seem to get my ethernet card to work. I have done the whole reinstall thing myself(probably about 9 times now) and am starting to get a little annoyed. As for my work colleague he cannot even load linux as it crashes everytime it tries to load the module dependancies. The thing I don't understand is that we have identical pc's, minus the monitor.
Anyway how did you get your ethernet card to work??? I have downloaded both the rpm and tarball from nvidia but neither work
mj@change.co.nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-02, 05:56 PM   #4
Cheshiremackat
Crush K8

Default Success

Ok guys... I have the exact same mobo Asus A7N-266 Vm w/ 1700+ ...I am running Redhat 7.3... install went ok... some tips to start

Use LILO... I am unsure why, but GRUB does not work, MANY posts to confirm this.
Install the NFORCE DRIVERS FIRST!!!!! You have to do this... install linux first... then install the nforce RPM's THEN RESTART... your ethernet should be recognized... then Install video and GLX
I used the RPM's (ok I know but I am a total noob to linux)
Use the 2960 drivers for video and GLX...
There is a a neat little trick you can do with xconfigurator and XF86config... run XConfigurator first (Don;t PROBE ANYTHING)... this will create a new XF86Config-4 file... then Run XF86Config... this will create a new file in /root then use vi and merge the two... this is NOT necessary you can edit one or the other... but each gives slightly different options, so merging can be good!
Check out the two top forums... Unofficial RPM version and Linux 7.3 success story... that is what I used to get the system working now... works well for me so far... I like redhat and since 8.0 is now out getting a 7.3 disk could be REALLY cheap...try a bookstore for 'linux for dummies with Redhat 7.3 on disk...' I picked up a copy just to have a backup copy on a pressed CD.

_C
Cheshiremackat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-02, 05:58 PM   #5
Cheshiremackat
Crush K8

Default one more thing

I have no success with getting rh8.0 to work though, still waiting for RPM's to be released... I am nervous about working from tar.gz files myself... flame away, I like RPM's
Cheshiremackat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 12:06 PM   #6
david

Send a message via ICQ to david

Yeah, sorry I forgot about the "integrated" bit. NForce would come in handy for the other exciting chipset features. But it's ok to miss it out if you just want the display driver.

I've never used rpm coz I don't have redhat so I'm happier using tar, although it probably makes no diff whatsoever.
david is offline   Reply With Quote