Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-05-04, 03:05 PM   #13
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: As suspected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirney
Sorry but I dont want to count on the mod makers to make the MP part of it to work. MP should have had more time dedicated to it. Yes I know that ID worked more on the 1st player part, but IDs games have always had very good MP parts, and this IMHO is a step back for the company that more or less kicked started internet gaming with QuakeWorld. All IMHO.
you're forgetting that they also have always had very weak SP parts, which is definitely not true in this game. not like unreal tournament, where the single player is nothing but a multiplayer arena with bots added.

so basically, the way i look at it... usually we get crappy SP, good MP, and the mods/maps make the multiplayer even better. now we are going to get excellent SP, and the mods are going to make the mp just as good as if the mp wasn't crappy to begin with... of course, that's with the assumption that you feel the MP is crappy; i haven't gotten a good taste for the MP yet myself.

so, how many of us actually play "halflife" multiplayer? right, it's either CS or TFC... my point exactly.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 03:11 PM   #14
Edge
3d animator for hire!

True, it seems many developers nowadays know that there will be multiplayer mods and levels that eclipse those that would be included with the game, so they focus on getting the base technology and single-player down and then allowing user-made material to become popular. Look at Serious Sam: it had ONE multiplayer deathmatch map (which is why I find the topic creator's arguement so humorous :P ). And then when Serious Sam: Second Encounter came out, they included a SS1 mod with it and a bunch of user-made levels. Aside from the netcode, they put almost no work into the multiplayer mode, and yet the multiplayer for the game is extremely popular.

Though it's kinda funny...RTCW wasn't even supposed to have multiplayer at first, but it became the best part of the game. Even when they focused on the single-player it still turned out mediocre, Doom 3 at least offers a decent single-player game along with great technology and a good base for multiplayer.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 03:22 PM   #15
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by intercede007
How the heck are you going to Co-Op a PC game? Over a LAN? Because it would be pointless and frustrating otherwise.
Not according to Croteam. The first Serious Sams had it and the next will too. Co-op would have been a huge addition to single player game, especially considering the lackluster mulitplayer mode, which was to be expected. I doubt we would hear half the mp complaints we are hearing now if at least co-op was included....I guess we can always hope for a patch.
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 03:32 PM   #16
Slyder
AMD + Nv = pro gaming rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by intercede007
How the heck are you going to Co-Op a PC game? Over a LAN?
Lan and/or SplitScreen. Having the choice will always score points in peoples reviews.
Maxtor 6Y080L0 7200rpm 80 gig DiamondMax Plus 9 HDD
Gigabyte Dual 6600GT SLI Enabled
CTX VL701B 17ins CRT 0.27dpi 72khz MPRII Black
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
BenQ DW1655 LS DVD-Rewriter with BCDB f/w (ohh yes, get on)
LiteOn 48246S CD writer with SS0E f/w
NTL 10 meg cable connection thru Ambit 250 modem. Ethernet connected
Linksys BEFSR41 v3 router with 1.05.00 f/w
Enermax 535 watts SLI-Ready PSU
XP pro with SP2
Playing multiplayer games online and lan enabled untill the day we die.

What I think of the word Blog
Slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 03:47 PM   #17
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
RTCW wasn't even supposed to have multiplayer at first, but it became the best part of the game. Even when they focused on the single-player it still turned out mediocre, Doom 3 at least offers a decent single-player game along with great technology and a good base for multiplayer.
lol, even funnier they released a stand-alone mod for RTCW that was multiplayer only. (enemy territory)
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Old 08-05-04, 04:27 PM   #18
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Be glad you had multiplayer. I remember reading a long time ago they wouldn't have ANY multiplayer. And I REALLY hope you aren't complaining about no split screen on a PC game...

And I am glad no punkbuster was used. There are other solutions to cheats. Punkbuster WILL lag your game at the start of every round checking your system for crap and it is terrible.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 04:40 PM   #19
Zeta

I dont care for punkbuster either.
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 05:26 PM   #20
Slyder
AMD + Nv = pro gaming rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Punkbuster WILL lag your game at the start of every round checking your system for crap and it is terrible.
I have never had lag with a PB enabled game, and I have played them all except 1. You either have a slow connection, or a rubbish ISP my friend. I have a perfect ping around 20-30 with no spikes or packet loss, in all PB games. I think America's Army is the only exception to that, as I have never tried it.
Maxtor 6Y080L0 7200rpm 80 gig DiamondMax Plus 9 HDD
Gigabyte Dual 6600GT SLI Enabled
CTX VL701B 17ins CRT 0.27dpi 72khz MPRII Black
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
BenQ DW1655 LS DVD-Rewriter with BCDB f/w (ohh yes, get on)
LiteOn 48246S CD writer with SS0E f/w
NTL 10 meg cable connection thru Ambit 250 modem. Ethernet connected
Linksys BEFSR41 v3 router with 1.05.00 f/w
Enermax 535 watts SLI-Ready PSU
XP pro with SP2
Playing multiplayer games online and lan enabled untill the day we die.

What I think of the word Blog
Slyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-04, 05:32 PM   #21
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

Actually Co-op over a LAN would be faster than Co-op over broadband on Xbox, because of lower ping times and higher bandwidth capactiy. If you can Lan MP Doom 3, then at 100Mbps then i dare say that LAN Co-op would be able to run nicely.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 07:17 PM   #22
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

i guess it's time to come out of the closet on this one... i work with a modding community in enemy territory for ETPro, and i am the one who detects the cheats. etpro even though it has a lag time in releases of about a month on average, has much more advanced anti-cheat technology than punkbuster with IAC, which is manually updated; along with some special secrets that no one will get. i know quite a lot about punkbuster and anti-cheating, and *believe me* the only feature in punkbuster that can stop cheaters is a global ban list (punkbuster doesn't even have this, wow) and the screenshot feature. punkbuster is unreliable and a pain in the ass... not to mention it decreases your FPS because for some reason or another they thought it would be a good idea to have punkbuster read your cd key every single frame that's rendered. need proof? clicky