Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-11-04, 09:37 PM   #13
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Re: Valve's Steam horror stories

Steam actually isn't THAT bad anymore, though as others have said I don't like the idea of full games being bought over Steam and having it be downloaded to your computer. I like CDs much better, though I must admit if I had broadband I'd probably appreciate the ease of being able to simply double-click a mod and having it automatically install and patch it for me (though I'd never have it auto-update, that's just annoying). Back when Steam was first released though, ugh, don't get me started.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 10:18 PM   #14
Reaper106
Metal Maniac

Well thanks for all the input, considering what I have heard I think I will stick with my original plan and buy the boxed copy. Might as well, I already have it pre-ordered. The whole access to your hd makes me wonder though. I do agree that it does sound kinda nice in a way, Minus no having a hard copy of the game.

System 1
RAIDMAX SMILODON Case |ThermalTake 700WToughPower PS | ASUS P5N32-E SLI | INTEL Core 2 Duo E6600 | Corsair 2GB XMS2 PC6400 | Ge-Force 8800GTX | Creative Labs X-FI |Sony 16X DVD | Pioneer DVR112D 18X DVD Burner | Western Digital 320GB SATA II HDD | LogiTech z-5500 5.1 Speakers | NEC multisync LCD 1970GX | SaiteK Eclipse II keyboard | Windows Vista Premium 32Bit | APC 1500VA back-UPS BX1500LCD

System 2
NZXT Black Nemesis Elite Aluminium Tower|Antec 550W PS|ASUS A8N-SLI Premium|AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+|2GB Corsair PC3200 XMS 2x1024|EVGA 7800GTX|Creative Labs X-FI|Hitachi 160GB Hdd SATA|Sony 16x DVD|Pioneer DVR110 16X DVD+R/+RW DVD-R/-RW Dual Layer|WinXP Pro 32Bit|APC 1500VA BACK-UPS 1500XS
Reaper106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 10:51 PM   #15
Pimp!

i really like steam. its just most people dont like change and then that results in complaining.

i got it the first day the "beta" came out, sure it had its bugs, but nothing major that haulted the whole development of it. sure there are still problems, like Friends, but tbh thats not a necessity.
Pimp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 10:57 PM   #16
killahsin

Steam is rock solid

Secondly valve is working on a way of getting people who want the box copies their boxes when they purchase through steam(they're just not there yet). As for valve going under, I just don't see that happening anytime soon. Steam doesnt have read/write access to your hd, only to the steam cache folders.

56k people may dislike steam if they purchase through it. But 56k people will love steam patch wise. Since it decreases the size of patches. Since patches can be done daily weekly, not just quarterly. Thats in its essence the best thing about steam, for the end user.

For the mod developer the best thing is the recognition of your mod the future chance of having your mod becxome a retail steam package etc etc. Steam in itself is the evolution of online fps gaming. Online content on demand altogether to be honest. It's also the first time a devloper can get a good profit margin from his games.

There are just so many bonus's to having steam succeed than there are negatives. For the end user mod maker and developer.
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 01:19 AM   #17
Zetto

i think if u just backup the steam cache, it can be ur "hard" copy... Installing it easy to - just drop the .gcf files in the app dir and u can play again
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 09:30 AM   #18
PenguinJim

Very old, but might still raise a smile.
Old 08-12-04, 10:31 AM   #19
cam9786

^ Funny. As. Hell.
[B]BFG GeForce 6800GT OC @ 400/1.10 GHz[/B]
40GB Maxtor Hard Drive 7200RPM
17'' Flat-Screen Silver Monitor -KDS Visual Sensations
[B]ASUS A7N8X Motherboard nForce2 Ultra Chipset 400FSB Dual Channel[/B]
[B]Crucial 1024 MB PC3200 DDR 400 RAM[/B]
nForce2 Audio Controller
Labtec Desktop Speakers & Subwoofer
ASUS CD-RW 52x24x52 Burner
Large AMD Athlon XP Fan
Large Air Case Fan
Antec True430 430 Watt Power Supply - 20A on 12V line[/SIZE][/B]
[B]3dMark03 -[/B] [URL=http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2811011]http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2811011[/URL]

[I][B]Kamel on Kids and Doom 3 -[/B] [/I]

[I]i don't know about you guys, but i'd like to teach my kid that if a demon breaks into our house, you should shoot the bastard... multiple times, until he decinegrates (just to make sure).[/I]

I am 73% addicted to Counterstrike. [url=http://seanism.com/addiction/cs.php]What about you?[/url]
cam9786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 10:40 AM   #20
ynnek

Say I make a backup for the GCF files and Steam client.. I then wipe out my computer, and copy Steam and the GCF files back on another computer, that is NOT connected to the internet. Will I still be able to play single player?

My only gripe about Steam, is that you always have to go thru it to play your games, even single player, when you buy them over Steam.. The thought of that just urks me. If they allowed you to play the game stand alone, without Steam after you paid and downloaded it, then I wouldn't complain about Steam.

I'm hoping that when I get HL2 via Steam with my ATI voucher, I won't get any problems.. Who knows, maybe I won't.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-04, 10:59 AM   #21
Pandora's Box

Send a message via AIM to Pandora's Box Send a message via MSN to Pandora's Box

i guess i dont have a problem with it. only initially i did. installed steam, put in authentic half life 1 cd key. stupid steam is like "no stfu this code is in use go away". so i contacted valve and sent them a pic of my half life 1 cd key. didnt get a reply email but steam has allowed the cd key.
Pandora's Box is offline   Reply With Quote