Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-16-04, 01:43 PM   #25
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Default Re: id's next game going to be on the Doom3 engine :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty
Carmack took the framework of Q3, like the console system, file handling, all the system code, but the renderer was completely re-written.

I dont think its a bad thing that the next id game will be based on the D3 engine. You can pretty much guarantee it will look loads better, as the artists and designers have alot more experience with the technology 2nd time round. You can probably expect higher poly models at least. I reckon it'll still look amazing.
Well he's doing a new renderer so, its probably significantly different from Doom3 engine of today
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 09:07 PM   #26
mezkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
John Carmack writes the renderers by himself. Now, other programmers do the game code, tools etc. but i can safely say JC does the renderers by himself.

I dont know about sweeney however
Show me the evidence. I think you're plain wrong. I distinctly remember speaking to Todd Hollenshead at the AUS GDC 2001 (or was it 2000?) where they previewed RTCW and he spoke about John AND Adrian locking themselves up in a hotel room for 3 months to get the engine recoded and optimised. He also hinted at the DOOM 3 engine in the same breath (I can say that now safely).

Anywho. I'd like to see some evidence. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. If not.....
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
mezkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 07:30 AM   #27
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Quote:
Well he's doing a new renderer so, its probably significantly different from Doom3 engine of today
Eh? The title of this thread contradicts that I'd imagine at the very least he'll add support for the stuff artists were moaning about, and add a few new features. I dont think it will be a complete new engine from ground up, for the 2nd game. The current engine has alot of life left in it. Just look at how long the Q3 engine's been around.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote