Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-18-04, 04:00 AM   #1
jon86

Question Hi - I am new and have a question about a new GFX card...

Hi.

I am planning on building a Windows XP / Linux-64 bit rig on Friday and I need some help choosing a graphics card. I was going to go for an ATi as you can get a card that has a factory fitted VGA silencer, which means the warranty is intact and I have a nice cool and most importantly QUIET graphics card.

As ATi drivers in Linux-32 bit are laughable and non-existent in Linux-64 bit, I have opted for an nVidia solution. One thing I hate with graphics cards are the rediculously loud and whiney 5 cfm type stock heatsink fans. I would love a passively cooled heatsink solution and run a 5 or 7 volt modded 80mm fan over it, but realise that it is highly unlikely that I could do that.

The budget I have is around $280 (£160) which must include English VAT. I will be buying from a UK stockist so no references to newegg please.

Thanks all.
Jon
jon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 05:05 AM   #2
chrismortimore

Default Re: Hi - I am new and have a question about a new GFX card...

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...x0y1z1p1s0n0m0

Look here. If you go for a decent one you'll get your fabby cooling system :P

Other places to try are www.dabs.com, www.ebuyer.com, www.simply.co.uk and a guy called Kev who owns a shop around the corner from me and doesn't have a website :P:P Go as high as your budget will dare.
Old 08-18-04, 05:21 AM   #3
jon86

You forgot to mention www.scan.co.uk and www.overclockers.co.uk...

I would like some suggestions of cards with decent cooling systems that don't feature a whiny fan that has to spin many many thousands of RPM to push any sort of air.

This is why I want an Artic VGA Silencer as stock on the card (like the ATi card I was going to get! )
Old 08-18-04, 05:44 AM   #4
Thunderbird

There are two things you can do. Ofcourse you can buy a simple fanless videocard but useally those cards are SLOW. They are useally based on geforce4mx (mx4000 is one of those too) or fx5200 gpus. Gainward has a fanless geforcefx 5700 in their "SilentFX" series. The card is a bit bigger than normal cards because of the heatpipe but it is 100% silent. (http://www.gainwardusa.com/products/vga_980sxp.htm)

An other option is to buy lets say a GeforceFX 5900 card and to make it silent by adding a zalman heatpipe. (the Gainward heatpipe is also made by Zalman) For example you could take this Zalman heatpipe: http://www.gainwardusa.com/products/vga_980sxp.htm (they have a few others too). Note that in case of the FX5900 you need to add a fan too, but the fans are big and because of that are silent.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 06:00 AM   #5
jon86

I didn't want to 'add' anything because that would mean invalidating the warranty.

I have decided to go for the passively cooled FX5700 for £146.88 from Scan.
I don't need the absolute best graphics. I just need nice graphics that will run and be quiet. You can't get much quieter than silent.

Thanks very much for showing me this graphics card.