Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-04, 06:11 PM   #1
Mike1357
lol wut?

Send a message via AIM to Mike1357 Send a message via MSN to Mike1357
Default D3 texture color and specular oddities

Well, first off, i have an AMD athlon xp 2400+ at 2.0ghz -- 512 mb ddr ram -- GeForce3 TI200 64MB
yes, I know that the card isnt very top of the line, but it actually gets the job done. Ok, the settings are on Low, with bump maps specular shadows and high quality special effects on at 800x600 resolution.

overall, the game still looks amazing even at low quality. the bump mapping does great justice for the textures. the specular lighting really adds too, since it makes the light shine in a way that looks realistic. however, i have been having a problem with the specular lighting. it is still there in all its glory, but it seems to be chopped into squares and rectangles. here is a screenshot. look around the light there to see the specular lighting but very blocky.

Here is another screenshot containing the specular squares. i know that this is the specular lighting because when i toggle it, it all goes away, plus, it moves when i move to different spots.

Also, when the specular lighting shines on the shotgun and other weapons, the squares appear on the weapons too rather than just getting brighter.

Plus, there are some wierd texture problems. I can slightly notice it everywhere, but some places are alot worse than others. For example, the convergence chamber near the beggining, the room where the light passes by, makes the textures look HORRIBLE. take a look for yourself.

as soon as the door opens to that room, and the light comes by, the textures turn nasty. when the light passes by, the textures flash back to normal for half a second and then turn back to the sh!!ty ones

i notice this on the flashlight alot too. the outer ring on the flashlight sometimes looks really bad, as in, the coloring.

heres another shot, just for the hell of it

Not real big issues, but it would be nice to have them fixed.

Thanks ahead of time
Mike1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 06:58 PM   #2
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Re: D3 texture color and specular oddities

I'm not toally sure, but I *think* this is due to the GF3/4 series lower precision for certain effects, and because of that there are banding issues and pixelation when heavy surfacing effects are in use. Supposedly the FX series has this problem as well, though I'm guessing it would be to a lower extent. But it does seem a bit worse on your card than it should be...what AA/Aniso/texturing settings are you using? It almost looks like you're running in 16-bit color, or something. Oh, and make sure that you aren't forcing intellisample texture compression through Rivatuner, I noticed a very noticable drop in quality from that.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 07:02 PM   #3
Mike1357
lol wut?

I don't use Rivatuner, and no AA/AF is on. And even though it does look like 16-bit color, it doesn't always do that. By that I mean, it doesn't always look that bad. But the specular problem is always present, though not as annoying as the "texture puke".
Old 08-15-04, 09:30 PM   #4
Zeta

Are you running new nvidia drivers or some really old ones? You might want to update the drivers but I have no idea if that would help. Another interesting thing to try would be to turn it up to high or medium quality just to see if that fixes the issue (even though it wont be playable).
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 05:03 PM   #5
Mike1357
lol wut?

I updated the drivers to 61.77. when I set the game on anything above low it doesn't change anything at all. maybe doom3 knows that high would make my card poop its-self. lol
Old 08-18-04, 01:18 AM   #6
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1357
I updated the drivers to 61.77. when I set the game on anything above low it doesn't change anything at all. maybe doom3 knows that high would make my card poop its-self. lol
there is nothing wrong with your hardware /driver or settings..
you are just seeing the precision limitations of Non directx9 hardware. also the path for NV20's /R200's use compression for everything bumps/speculars.. etc.. in fact im surprised that noone have noticed the banding before. I noticed it instantly in Doom3 alpha when using my Geforce4 albeit it was more noticeable there in my custom High quality textures maps. the higher quality the textures you use .. the more chances of blockiness for you ,if you dont have a Directx9 hardware. you have seen nothing .. the artifacts are noticeable from a mile once you increase the intensity of the lights and your textures.

my advice is to save some pennies and buy at least the Nv43 lineup ($100 -$200) that was say to be available in september. if you cant wait try the fx5700 or 5900xt that their prices should be also cheap these days.when more and more custom Mods appears in Doom3 ,more and more people will notice what you have recently noticed .. (expect gazillion of threads with "artifacts in Doom3 why? ) . so the myth that Doom3 is merely a DIrectx7 level game ,that use dirext9 merely to do the effects in less passes in plain wrong. your screenshots is the proof ,you need Floating point precision (only available in DIrectx9 hardware) to get High quality reflections at all times ,no matter what.

but also the precision issues might also be noticed with Fp24 in ATi hardware (whenever High quality textures like this are used.) FOr one reason ATi will move to Fp32 in their next Generation hardware.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34666

since Fp24 will not be enough precision for tiled HQ textures beyond 1024x1024 resolutions. but this is only for extreme cases where someone design Doom3 level with extreme quality . for the retail game that use med-low resolutions textures or any classic Mod Fp16 will be more than enough.

Last edited by Nv40; 08-18-04 at 02:30 AM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 02:17 PM   #7
Mike1357
lol wut?

I see. Thanks guys. (BTW: I'm working to save up money to build a new system so I'll check back in when I start that )