Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-19-04, 02:39 PM   #1
roskamp

Default Optimal Linux and GFX card

I would like to switch to linux to use Maya in, I know Alias suggests to use only Red hat. I am wondering what other versions if any Maya would run under. Also, the quadro cards are dual monitor and am wondering if linux supports the dual monitor setup.
roskamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 04:20 PM   #2
CrLf
Linux Power!

Default Re: Optimal Linux and GFX card

Well, on their website I see that they support Red Hat 9 and Red Hat WS 3 so I guess it should run ok with Fedora 1/2 and Mandrake 9/10/10.1. It should also run with SuSE 9 and 9.1. Basically it should run with any distribution (at least the better known ones) released by the time of Red Hat 9 onwards. To avoid having to chase dependencies I would say that your best bets are Fedora and Mandrake, which are closest to RH9 (I had some issues in Mandrake running applications which required the compat-libstdc++ from Red Hat, but the Red Hat package installed flawlessly in Mandrake). Anyway your best bet is to choose your favorite distro and try it, if that fails go with Mandrake or Fedora.

As for the quadro, the nvidia drivers support TwinView, as in Windows, and IMHO the features supported are the same that are available in Windows.

Please consider that I haven't tested this myself, I'm just talking from experience with other software (in binary form). This also apply for the drivers, up until now I feel that they are comparable feature-wise to their windows counterparts. In fact nvidia promotes their Unified Driver Architecture as an advantage (90%+ code sharing between platforms).
Old 08-19-04, 04:48 PM   #3
lightman

Send a message via ICQ to lightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrLf
Well, on their website I see that they support Red Hat 9 and Red Hat WS 3 so I guess it should run ok with Fedora 1/2 and Mandrake 9/10/10.1.
There could be some problems with kernel 2.6, though....

btw, roskamp, there was no need to start two thread asking for the same thing... anyway :

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...66&postcount=2
lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 01:27 PM   #4
LaNcom

Recent SUSE versions and gentoo work, too...

Maya 6 also works on gentoo/ AMD64, using Nvidia's 61xx drivers and kernel 2.6.x (as does Softimage|XSI, but this one needs a lot of work to be conviced to run).

-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
LaNcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 06:42 PM   #5
CrLf
Linux Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightman
There could be some problems with kernel 2.6, though....
I don't think so. I doubt Maya needs to talk directly to the kernel. What matters is glibc (not much of a problem in the last few years, the C ABI is stable), libstdc++ and maybe some other assorted libs (which are rarely a problem, if they exist for the distro it probably works, most libs used by binary software are mature and stable enough).

BTW, distribution incompatibilities are way overhyped, in fact I rarely see problems related to this. The differences are mostly in the initscripts and some configuration files but what really matters for this user level apps is mostly the same (most distros that matter follow the LSB). Even backward compatibility is in most cases perfect, at least with good software (stuff like Mathematica). Bad software sometimes does stuff that it shouldn't do (undocumented/unsupported libc functionality or weirdo obviously unportable distro/version specific functionality - like some scientific software that shall go nameless).

PS: Well, to tell the truth I have seen some (scientific) software refusing to work with Windows 2000 past some specific service pack or requiring a specific NT4 with some specific service pack(!). _That_ is being picky.

Last edited by CrLf; 08-20-04 at 06:54 PM.
CrLf is offline   Reply With Quote