Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-19-02, 04:07 AM   #13
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Default Re: NVIDIA Skipper - "enormous polygon counts"

Quote:
Originally posted by GamblerFEXonlin
http://www.nvnews.net/#1036954373

"Enormous polygon counts with special rendering mode for GeForce3 and GeForce4. Dot 3 bump mapping, pixel shaders and vertex shaders. Gorgeous real time water reflection."

If they call this high-poly and are almost saying "this is what graphics you can expect from a GF3 and GF4" I am dissapointed. They could at least have used bumpmapping on the boats details/windows. The water looks good but it seems thats where all the polygons went, the bridge in the background and its little island is just awful.

I wanto see doom3 like bumpmapping and lightening/shadowing, that is what I find next-gen and impressive now, not reflective and refractive pixel-shaded water effects (and the rest looks cartoony like most other games). But of course, not the polycount in doom3 that one is awful, but I guess its all we can have so far because those polygons casts exact real-time shadows and they are animated so any more is too much for the CPU and AGP and graphics cards stencil buffer performance? I would love to read why doom3 has so low polycount.
Well, all I have to say is, did you even try the demo, or just look at the crap screenshots on the site? If you didn't try the demo, then you are missing out on the specular highlights on the sails (not to mention the translucency), the reflective outer boat hulls, the real-time reflections on the water (which I know you mentioned, but you have to see it in action...for all 8 sailboats plus background dressing), the ease at which you can run the demo at 1600x1200 with AA on and still have acceptable framerates.

That's not even getting into the animated, fully 3 dimensional crew (which there are a lot more of on the larger boats).

Here's a 1600x1200 shot to look at.

As for your Doom3 effects. Well, there are only so many effects you can put on objects until they become unrealistic. Not everything is bumpy or shiny. The whole point of John Carmack's thing about taking passes over polygons was basically saying that having an arseload of polygons is great and all, but if you can't put any effects on them, then what good are they to you? You'll end up having a really high poly-count Quake 1 without Tenebrae/Doom3 styled effects.

With the effects you can make things appear higher poly-count than they actually are to some degree. The more passes you have per polygon, the more effects you can tag onto them before it starts to seriously effect your framerate.
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-02, 04:08 AM   #14
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
It doesn't look good

(Hides in his hole since people will figure out rather quickly that hes the only one on Earth that thinks so)
Heh, you aren't the only one.
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-02, 05:42 PM   #15
ReDeeMeR
The Guy Next Door *wink*

Send a message via ICQ to ReDeeMeR

While the room texturing is nice, it does look rather weird then good, but the pointy thing with the pointy shadows make it look like a sarcastic kiddie game where you have those boxed type robots etc.

Ahhh *remembering the days of WarCraft 1, Dune, Doom2 and then Quake 1*
ReDeeMeR is offline   Reply With Quote