Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-02, 12:51 PM   #13
potash

Oppps, the attachment lost when I preview the post.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xfree86.0.log.txt (20.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 07-29-02, 12:54 PM   #14
Thunderbird

Perhaps it really is a driver bug. The chipset doesn't seem to be supported then. (the log file still isn't complete)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-02, 01:04 PM   #15
potash

You mean the new log file is also incomplete?

Well, the log file is obtained after I logout of my X session and returns to text mode in run-level 3.

If this is really a driver bug, I hope it will get fix so I don't have to dump my Gigabyte M/Board.

Or should I dump it?
Old 07-29-02, 01:29 PM   #16
Thunderbird

So X starts after all? How do you start X? Are you switching to runtime level 5 (gdm/xdm/kdm) or do you use just startx? For testing I would use normal startx.
Old 07-29-02, 01:36 PM   #17
potash

I used normal startx in both cases. In the first case, the X server seems to hang or something, the X-shaped cursor never show up. In the second case the X server starts and the desktop loaded. Both tested in run-level 3.
Old 07-29-02, 01:46 PM   #18
Thunderbird

So X shows things after all or was that only on the other non-SIS 646 DX system?

If you still don't get an image on the SIS 645 chipset report a bug report I think to linux-bugs@nvidia.com
Old 07-29-02, 10:07 PM   #19
potash

No, X didn't show up on the SiS 645 DX chipset machine, but it work on another machine with older Asus M/Board (can't remember the chipset off my mind). Perhaps I'll try again later on to confirm it, and submit a bug report if it don't work.

In the mean time, do you, or anyone, know of a good MicroATX form factor M/Board that has a AGP slot, support PC-2100 SDRAM, onboard NIC and audio, to recommend?
Old 08-02-02, 12:49 AM   #20
thebunny

The NVidia's driver will use the loaded agpgart.o (if it's loaded) no matter what XF86Config says. Did you try unloading agpgart (oh and DRI as well) before doing startx?

Just a thought..

Old 08-02-02, 04:34 AM   #21
Thunderbird

It is actually better for him to use agpgart since agpgart has support for new chipsets earlier than the builtin nvagp. And normally it doesn't really matter which you use.
Old 08-02-02, 10:14 AM   #22
thebunny

Oh I see. I was just speaking from my experience. I have a VIA Apollo Pro 133A north bridge which is quite old and well supported in the kernel yet all the games kept crashing until I went with the NVidia AGP (I removed both agpgart & DRI). Well in any case, he can remove the DRI because NVidia isn't using that at all. Right?
Old 08-02-02, 11:14 AM   #23
Thunderbird

Things like DRI and agpgart are in modules so that is not a problem at all. If I were him I would send a bug report to nvidia. Normally when any agp is disabled (not using nvagp/apgart) a system should still function using the drivers in X. His chipset is too new to have been added to the drivers. (he can add it to nv.c not sure if he did it already and compile a custom driver to use)

linux-bugs@nvidia.com
Old 08-02-02, 04:33 PM   #24
lunix

Send a message via MSN to lunix

Hey, I had the same problem with my SIS 645 Ultra. In the BIOS on the 1st or 2nd screen disable APIC. For some reason with APIC enabled it was not assigning a IRQ to VGA. I could tell cause NVDriver bitched about it when I modprobed it from CLI.