Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-23-04, 08:29 AM   #1
wesley7777

Default Ti-4200 Tvout (phillips 7104)

I have a NVIDIA TI-4200 card with a Phillips 7104 tvout chip. I know that the 7104 chip is certainly not the best supported chip for tvout, but has anyone been successful in getting good tvout from this chip. I would like to get the tvout to overscan just enough that when I am watching divx or xvid movies that the picture takes up the whole TV screen. I am using nvtv, but I can not find the right combination of inputs to get the picture to look correct. So far my command line looks like this nvtv r 800,600 S NTSC (s ?) C COMPOSITE t c. None of the (-s) predefined screen size values for 800,600 seem to work correctly. Nvtv will not allow me to specify a resolution of 800,600 without setting s to some value. If anyone has had success in getting a good tvout picture with the Phillips 7104 chip, would you post a copy of your nvtv command line? Thanks for the help.
wesley7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 12:36 AM   #2
DustSmoke

Default Re: Ti-4200 Tvout (phillips 7104)

Here is mine as of this moment, you may have some problems with the nvidia documentation as it seems nvidia didn't read up too much on tv formats, and changed their syntax around without telling anybody. Namely the Hz for NTSC-M is 59.94, not 60 as they imply.... 60 was designed for black and white... Thus giving you a friendly vertical scrolling bar with color. (nvidia documentors are little behind the times I guess.... well, looking at the computer industry... nobody seems to knows it should be 59.94 exept somebody like me who has a roomate who works for a broadcast television company we all know. I believe MS has their generic TV drivers set to 60 also.)

Also, "ConnectedMonitor" responds to "CRT;TV", not "CRT,TV" as they imply. (I just guessed that one, it used to work like the document says, but not anymore)

With this configuration i switch between tv and monitor by doing a cntrl alt + or -
Main thing to change is the meta modes for your resolutions.

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
        #Option "RenderAccel" "1"
        Option "Twinview" "True"
        Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP"
        Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,null; null,800x600"
        Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
        Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
        Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "59.94"
        Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
        Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT;TV"
        Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
        #Option "TVOverScan" "0.6"

EndSection
DustSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 08:43 AM   #3
wesley7777

Default Re: Ti-4200 Tvout (phillips 7104)

Thanks for the reply. I had the picture at the correct size with the command line nvtv -r 800,600 -s Huge -S NTSC -C COMPOSITE -c -t but the vertical sync seemed to be off. I will change my verticle sync to 59.94 see if that corrects the problem. I will post with my results.
wesley7777 is offline   Reply With Quote