Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-23-04, 08:24 AM   #1
Metabo

Default Monitor problems (wrong output by default!?)

Hi!

Yesterday i spent the whole day installing the NVIDIA drivers on my linux system. With some tricks I got it working fine, but I still have this weird problem:

Everytime I boot up my system and it comes to the point xserver should start the screen fades black and the monitor seems to turn out (or loose the input signal). The first time i thought it is a complete system crash, but i can hear kde's startup sounds and i'm even able to switch to a virtual console (ALT+F1 - F6).

To do a proper xserver boot i need to use one of this consoles, switch back to runlevel 3 and then to 5 again. when i now start the xserver (startx) everything works fine.

therefore, the problem has to be somewhere in the boot-up sequence. Is it possible that my card is trying to access the tv- or dvi- output first before using the vga-output?

My system specs:
GFX: Geforce4 TI4200
Linux: Mandrake Community 10.0
Kernel: 2.6.3-15 (rivabf is ENABLED, but it doesn't seem to make any problems)
NVIDIA driver: 6106 (the only one that compiles the kernel without problems for me)

the XConfig is set like every description on this planet told me to and i made an additional option (to set the Agp-Rate to 4) in modules.conf, because it never worked on my computer without it
Metabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 07:20 AM   #2
Metabo

Default Re: Monitor problems (wrong output by default!?)

nobody out there with the same problem?
Metabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 08:21 AM   #3
Antti

I would try out the latest drivers 6111. They have some strange problems compiling under Mandrake 10, but there has been several solutions to that on this forum. One was to use a patch for the installer program, one was to modify .config in the kernel source tree and one was to use --add-this-kernel-switch with the installation program.

Personally the only problem I've ever had with nVidia's drivers, was a huge performance loss (supposedly a memory leak) with 6111. 6106 works perfectly for me.
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 08:38 AM   #4
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@Metabo: does the ConnectedMonitor option help?

@Antti: what kind of configuration did you experience the performance loss with, and how did the memory leak manifest itself? I'd be surprised if there was a memory leak in 1.0-6111 that isn't present in 1.0-6106.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 01:04 PM   #5
Antti

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
what kind of configuration did you experience the performance loss with, and how did the memory leak manifest itself?
I experienced it with several (4) completely different configurations, Intel and AMD. Had to restore 6106 back to every one of these computers. Well, it ate lots of memory, just more and more, and all games were running extremely slow. Don't know about else.
Old 08-24-04, 01:10 PM   #6
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

What was leaking memory specifically, the X driver, OpenGL or are you talking about kernel memory? Did the games slow down after some in response to this or were they slow from the start?
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 07:27 AM   #7
Antti

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
What was leaking memory specifically, the X driver, OpenGL or are you talking about kernel memory? Did the games slow down after some in response to this or were they slow from the start?
I didn't debug it further, since I just restored 6106-drivers back. 6111 seems ununsable with 3D-games. The games were slow from the start and I don't know which module was leaking (IF it is a memory leak, I cannot be sure). 2D worked fine.