Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-25-04, 05:33 PM   #1
tryf

Default what is x and how do i close it ?

i need to close x to install my driver
i run mandrake 9.2
and i don't know what x is and how to close it.

i'd apreciate some help

10x a lot

tryf
tryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 07:22 PM   #2
student04

Default Re: what is x and how do i close it ?

I can see you posted twice in this forum... don't do that. (i'm not a moderator, but it's just not right). To answer your fist question, you have to install your kernel's source before you can do any of this. Go to the Mandrake Control Center (or type 'drakconf' in the console), and the box icon is for installing it. Type 'kernel source' in the search box, and install it.

X is your graphical display manager. KDE (or GNOME if you use that) runs on the X server to make linux graphical. Make sure you download the driver first, before doing this, and save it somewhere convenient (such as /home/yourusername/). To boot up into text mode, open up a console, and browse to /etc/, to edit the inittab file. Commands:

$ cd /etc/
$ su (then enter the root password)
# vi inittab

($ is the short terminology for [user@localhost folder]$, and # for [root@localhost folder]#)
once you have it opened up, press the Insert key once. Then look for this (basically at the top of the file):

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by Mandrakelinux are:
# 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
# 1 - Single user mode
# 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
# 3 - Full multiuser mode
# 4 - unused
# 5 - X11
# 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:3:initdefault: <-- this is the line you are looking at

This is the list of "runlevels". Runlevels are just how the computer will boot/shutdown. It enters runlevel 6 when rebooting, and 0 when it shutsdown (simple isn't it?). Remember what number is there as you will be changing the file again after you install the driver (yours should be a 5, if i'm correct). Move the cursor over that number, delete it, and put a 3 (as is above). I use Mandrake 10.0 official and have used 9.2 so i know what i'm talking about.

Once you have done that, press the following:

Esc
:wq (<--here you are actually typing the ":")

you are now out of the text editor Vi... then type:

# reboot

this should get you into the non-graphical startup. From there you just follow what it says on the nvidia site to install the driver and edit you Xserver configuration file (most likely this: /etc/X11/XF86Config-4). Here is the link to their instructions: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-6111.html

Click the README link there once you are done installing it, and scroll to section: sec--03 to follow their instructions as how to go about editing your XF86Config file.

BEFORE EDITING IT I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU BACK IT UP! You can do this just by copying it to your home folder:

$ cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ~/

I can state shortly how to get into the configuration file:
# cd /etc/X11/
# vi XF86Config-4
Insert (=the insert key)

then just go about editing the file as nvidia states.

Once that is all done, you must edit your inittab file again.

$ su (enter password again, as above)
# cd /etc/
# vi inittab

Now you must change that "3" back into that number that was there before (namely a "5"). Press the Insert key to edit the file, move the cursor to where the number is, replace it, and type

:wq

to save and quit. Then reboot the machine, and all is done! Enjoy.

Note: if you mess up in the file while editing any file in Vi, and you don't remember what was there, just type:

Esc
:q!

This exits the Vi editor, and does NOT save any changes you made, so you may try it over again.

Also, if you have any trouble in the future with linux, an excellent site (a forum) to find answers to basically everything is http://www.linuxquestions.org . That site has so many users that you will get a reply within half an hour to an hour (just an estimate).

-student04

Last edited by student04; 08-25-04 at 07:36 PM.
student04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 03:38 AM   #3
manque

good answer but you dont made that's hard way just go to the configure your computer, inside go to the boot its the first icon, push and wait , then go to the do you want start x or any similar question on the boot section and dissable that x and say ok reboot and you mandrake go to the console enter you username or login password and thats it, after you can go su password and install the driver if you can i tried and give me the kernel have rivafb support and cannot install the driver
manque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 11:43 AM   #4
tryf

i don't have the installation cd for mandrake 9.2

how can i find out what kernel i have ?

and where can i get the files for installing the kernel source.

i couldn't find it in the mandrake site ....

10x a lot

tryf
tryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 12:44 PM   #5
student04

uname -a

tells you about your computer.. if you have 2.4.22-10mdk, then ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/m...10mdk.i586.rpm is your kernel source
student04 is offline   Reply With Quote