Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-12-04, 04:34 AM   #1
maruwas

Default SMP Kernel and 6111 problems

Hi everyone

I tried the 6111 driver after a fresh install of Mandrake 10.0......with no luck. X will not start. Everything explained in readme was checked. But no luck. I then tried 5336..... X started ( showed the Nvidia splash screen ) up but I could not run any opengl apps. Glxgears and glxinfo crashed the machine so badly I had to restart.

Mmmm I dont understand this.......

Well here is some info about my setup:

DISTRO: Mandrake 10.0 (Downloaded 3 ISO's)
KERNEL: 2.6.3-7mdksmp
CPU : 2.4Ghz Intel HP
GRAPHICS: Riva TNT2

Thanks in advance

Marius
maruwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 01:43 PM   #2
musashi816

Default Re: SMP Kernel and 6111 problems

I'm having the same problem.

When I boot into the non-smp kernel the 6111 drivers work great, much better than the nv drivers. But when I switch to the SMP kernel X gets really confused and will sometimes run (sans all the twinview options I've setup) but crash a lot of programs (sorry no list right now), and other times it will just flicker and scroll like the refresh rate is off, definitely a driver issue. I'd say this driver version is just not SMP safe.

Thanks for the work nvidia, now opensource those drivers! Oh, and make them SMP safe please

My setup:

Dual 2200+ athlon MP's
NV18 Quadro4 280 NVS
Mandrake 10 using the stock 2.6.3-7mdk and 2.6.3-7mdksmp kernels

The 2.6.3-7mdk kernel is supposedly supported, and yes, I did reinstall the driver after switching kernels. It could possibly be an issue with the detection scheme.
musashi816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 03:31 PM   #3
DeLorean

You may want to check your installs again, guys. The Nvidia driver actually has been fine with SMP for a while now. I've had an SMP system running rock-solid with a Ti 4600 for years (actually on a dual P-III 1Ghz, dual AthlonMP 1600+ and now dual 2800+). It isn't as solid now with a 6800 Ultra, but that isn't an SMP issue. This has been with RedHat or Fedora kernels. Mandrake at least used to be a RedHat derivative distro, so you should be seeing similar results. All the Loki titles, plus a few others (Tux Racer commercial, Terminus, etc) have run without problem, except for the library issue with FAKK2 when talking to certain NPCs in the game. There were problems with some dual P-II and early dual P-III systems (with earlier Nvidia based cards then, too), but the SMP code in Linux itself was a little iffy back then, too.

Check your logs, there will probably be a clue to the problem there (or run the nvidia-bugreport.sh and post the file it creates). Your X config files may need a once-over as well, especially making sure that the DRI stuff (load "dri" as well as the section later that sets the group and mode for DRI stuff) and load "GLcore" are commented out or deleted. Also, with the newer kernels, unless the stack is set to 8k, you will need to use 61.06 or 61.11 drivers.

Maruwas, you need to check which libraries are being used. The readme file Nvidia supplies will give you the details (look for the part about 'ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/gears" (you will probably acutally want to check glxgears, but it is an example)). The installer will try to move the Mesa libs, but if they are not where expected they can cause problems.

Lastly, the "open source the drivers" topic has been covered Ad Nauseum. Nvidia is aware that many want it, and has explained many, many times why it isn't going to happen any time in the near future, if ever. Andy M. used to be more active here (my first account was lost in a crash, the second in an upgrade here, don't let the new account fool you), and got hammered constantly about that. So rather than helping, the constant harping on the drivers not being open source has diminished our contact with Nvidia. I would like to see them open sourced as well, but with the copyright and patent laws being the way they are, it isn't going to happen. Bug your elected officials to fix the laws, and support the EFF in their effort to do the same. Once that is done, we can bug Nvidia about the drivers and have a chance of it working...
DeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 10:16 AM   #4
musashi816

Fixed my problem,

I decided to upgrade my kernel to 2.6.8.1 just to see what would happen, same issues occured (the program crashes were because glx wasn't being loaded and those programs used opengl). But when I looked at my XF86Config-4 file I noticed Mandrake or Nvidia or somebody had taken my good config and commented out the glx option and changed the driver to nv!

A big pain in the ass to be sure. Oh well, at least I'm running the latest kernel now.
musashi816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 01:05 PM   #5
Compholio

you need to manually config X once you have installed the driver, read the README for instructions. the driver needs to be set to "nvidia" and not "nv" in order to run the proprietary driver.
Compholio is offline   Reply With Quote