Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-25-04, 04:08 PM   #13
oldsk00l

Default Re: ATI under fire ahhhhhahahahaha

I am not really a zealot, but a finkle fan. See this reminds me of how Nintendo and Sega were back in the NES/SNES/Master System/Genesis days. They were just rubber band companies expanding and contracting at the whims of each other. ATI and nVidia are in that same pattern for now.

[edit]
Back in the Riva128 days, nVidia went so far to provide OGL support as releasing an ALPHA driver to the public. One thing about nVidia, is that the bureaucracy in getting decent drivers has NEVER been as bad as most of their competitors. With ATI it takes a huge grassroots movement or a marketshare threat to move on that. That, however shady some of their other practices are, is a goldenchild of nVidia's.

Last edited by oldsk00l; 08-25-04 at 04:34 PM.
oldsk00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 07:39 PM   #14
Pandora's Box

Send a message via AIM to Pandora's Box Send a message via MSN to Pandora's Box

erm wow. 9692 signatures. +1
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe 2.00 | AMD Athlon XP 2700+ | 1.5GB DDR333 RAM | OCZ PowerStream 520Watt | eVGA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB Zalman VF700 CU | Western Digital 120GB 8MB Cache 7200 RPM | Western Digital 60GB 2MB Cache 7200 RPM | Athenatech A602 Case | Linksys WMP54GS SpeedBooster Wireless Card
Pandora's Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 10:07 PM   #15
hlfmanhlfamazng

Old skool.......

Whoa, first(yes, I wasn't specific enough, my fault) I'm not saying you're a zealot.

You're exactly right about ati/nvidia and sega/nintendo.

You're also right about ATI's support of drivers and the grassroots "requirement". I think that's part of the reason why they opened up the docs for the DRI

As it stands right now, the 9100 is the card I recommend. Especially with the new x.org 6.8 release impending in the next few days. I still see nvidia's binary drivers as being problematic all over these and other boards.

I'll take a two-year old design and open source drivers any day.

Thank god for choice.
hlfmanhlfamazng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 10:13 PM   #16
hlfmanhlfamazng

Yup getting close to 10000. When I signed, I noticed a few that were from people double posting. I also wonder how many are not real names..... or names of family members who are represented by a linux zealot in the family ;-)

I have my g'ma on linux, I'm gonna try to get her to sign tomorrow.

She has a 9000 in her box though.(DRI)

hlfmanhlfamazng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 06:30 AM   #17
elmartinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfmanhlfamazng
Originally posted by BigBerthaEA
Don't know if it is just me, but why would an nVidia user care about an ATI driver petition? What exactly do you have to gain?
It's all about competition. Where would Intel be without AMD? where would Microsoft be without Linux/Apple? Competition is good; with out it, there is no reason for improvements.
elmartinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 03:47 PM   #18
oldsk00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfmanhlfamazng
You're also right about ATI's support of drivers and the grassroots "requirement". I think that's part of the reason why they opened up the docs for the DRI
Actually, you do have a very valid point there. I also agree with you, for all intents and purposes the DRI drivers totally rock this world for what they were intended. Unfortunately for ATI this does harm their reputation. While trying to appear virtuous, they appear incompetent...but then again we already knew their software teams are incompetent otherwise their users wouldn't be following a string of fixes every month.
oldsk00l is offline   Reply With Quote