Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-31-04, 10:19 AM   #13
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: request

hmmm you need to work on the transperancies.
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-04, 10:25 AM   #14
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA
hmmm you need to work on the transperancies.
Yeah yeah yeah. I know. I did provide a transparent GIF originally but I think Mike might have changed it since then a bit.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-04, 11:02 AM   #15
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

http://www.vampireuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/et_dark.jpg
http://www.vampireuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/et_light.jpg
Old 08-31-04, 08:29 PM   #16
Son Goku

Actually that blue on black theme at rage3d did bother my eyes some. But because they offered alternative themes, I just changed it...

What I'd suggest, if peeps are interested in hearing is if one adds a dark theme, allow it to be user selectable in the user configuration settings. Then peeps who want the darker theme can set their user preferences to it, and those who want a lighter setting, could set their user preference accordingly. Then everyone happy
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-04, 04:59 AM   #17
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

might i suggest a .png as opposed to a .gif? .png's have much more accurate alpha layers than .gifs do, and look _much_ better; especially when changing the background from white to black etc. the only problem with it is i heard that internet exploader doesn't always render them properly (not so that you can't see them, but with a white background sometimes instead of transparent). i can't confirm or deny this though.

i would love to see a dark theme just for an option personally... i have to agree that at times the black on white can be too contrasting for my eyes in the hours of reading i do each day here. the only issue i could think of is that the smileys might look like poop on a darker background. oh well, that may be a price i'm willing to pay to help my eyes relax at times, though not always.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-04, 08:47 AM   #18
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel
might i suggest a .png as opposed to a .gif? .png's have much more accurate alpha layers than .gifs do, and look _much_ better; especially when changing the background from white to black etc. the only problem with it is i heard that internet exploader doesn't always render them properly (not so that you can't see them, but with a white background sometimes instead of transparent). i can't confirm or deny this though.
PNGs do have a lot of positives over the old GIF format. But as you pointed out, compatibility is more important for the time being so we'll stick with GIF. There are also some exploits in the PNG format under Firefox which can bring the browser down immediately.

Dark text on a pure white background is not the ideal contrast scenario for easier readability. We might look into making the posts' background area a light shade of gray or blue instead of white.

This is a good thread, good stuff.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote