Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-05-04, 10:10 AM   #1
Rohan

Default "(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!" and /dev/nvidia

I've encountered this error while installing drivers and I noticed that the /dev/nvidia directory does not exist (as it was in readme). How to replace these files?
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-04, 12:58 PM   #2
goron

Default Re: "(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!" and /dev/nvidia

I have the same problem.
goron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 04:48 AM   #3
dopoirier

Default Re: "(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!" and /dev/nvidia

The files /dev/nvidia* are dynamically created at the start-up of the system by the "nvdia" module", IF THIS MODULE HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY LOADED.

To ensure that you have correctly installed this module, type the following command (when logged as 'root') :
$ modprobe nvidia
Then, see if the file /dev/nvidia* are present.

If so, you must configure your kernel to load the "nvidia" module at start-up.

This can be done by adding the line "nvidia" at the end of the file "/etc/modules" , if you use the kernel 2.4 or lower or in the file "/etc/modules.preload" (I am not sure of the exact name)if you use the kernel 2.6.

Hope this will help
dopoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 04:58 AM   #4
hppnq

No, the Nvidia devices (/dev/nvidia*) are created by the installer script. Re-run it and post the log (it is in /var/log) if you encounter problems.

(You can create the devices manually with mknod, but try the installer script first.)

Also, make sure that your /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modules.conf contains a line that says "alias char-major-195 nvidia*" -- if not, add it and your nvidia module will be loaded automatically if needed.
hppnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-04, 01:35 AM   #5
mherweg

Red face Re: "(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!" and /dev/nvidia

I too had this problem, and sat at a console typing furiously, editing, re-editing, and rere-editing again my XF86Config-4 file. That wasn't it. I don't know why, but reinstalling the driver package did the trick. I can't understand why it wouldn't be installed anymore (that statement is probably totally inaccurate, but it's the only conclusion I can reach) but after re-running the driver installation (using the extracted contents and running ./nvidia-install), it works again.
mherweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-04, 02:38 PM   #6
zero0w

Exclamation Re: "(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!" and /dev/nvidia

nVidia driver suddenly stopped working and I encountered the same problem.

Re-installation of the NVIDIA driver did resolve it, thanks for the tip here.
zero0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 08:53 AM   #7
Maverick5

WOW,
So as usual, there appears to be no set ryme or reason or even consistancy of any kind as to whether LINUX drivers work properly or not...

a reinstall fixed mine too !

but I'm very disappointed in the fact that I too was unable to tweak it into working
and I used vi to change the XF86Config-4 at least 50 times to no avail...

the stability of hardware drivers is necessary if LINUX is to win this battle,
this is the only reason why it will never be as good as Windows
nothing beats a good Device Manager !

;-)
Maverick5 is offline   Reply With Quote