Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-04, 03:14 AM   #13
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Default Re: New driver Nforce and Kernel 2.6.x?

Code:
modprobe snd-intel8x0
Registered linux user #271604 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org/
lianLi PC60, OCZ powerStream 520W PSU, Asus P5N-E SLI, Core 2 duo E6550, 2Gb GEIL, XFX 8800GT, TB SantaCruz
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 10:36 PM   #14
pbwest
pbw

Send a message via AIM to pbwest Send a message via MSN to pbwest

Problem solved. Just as I was posting the question, "Where are the nVidia guys when you need them, I checked the linux drivers page and Bingo! new driver complete with installer - 1.0-0283. Got it, installed it, built it for my custom kernel, ran soundcard detection. Ferora still tries to tell me it's snd-intel8x0, but the test sound plays. I have
alias eth0 nvnet
alias sound-slot-0 nvsound
in /etc/modprobe.conf. N.B. I discovered that /etc/modprobe.conf has replaced /etc/modules.conf now, whcih is handy to know. I have moved my old /etc/modules.conf out of the way.

Nice one, nVidia!
pbwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 07:40 PM   #15
hlfmanhlfamazng

The new nforce drivers were very easy to install, and sound great. I've got my dolby digital back. The only problem I have is aRts server keeps on giving me an error message.

----------------------------------------

Sound server fatal error:
AudioSubSystem::handleIO: write failed
len = -1, can_write = 4096, errno = 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
This might be a sound hardware/driver specific problem (see aRts FAQ)

-------------------------------------------------

How do I disable arts or fix it so that things work properly? I get sound, but I shouldn't get this error, right?
hlfmanhlfamazng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 08:29 PM   #16
froycard

Send a message via ICQ to froycard Send a message via Yahoo to froycard

I am a newbie, but it is true that I don't need the new NFORCE drivers for linux on my MANDRAKE ver. 2.6?

I have installed those new released drivers and it freezes all my pc upon login process, and I have had reinstalled the system several times since I have been able to work after installing this drivers.

Anyway, if I don't install this drivers how could I enable my 5.1 sound system?

any advices

froycard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 07:13 AM   #17
xshakma

I have the same aRTs Problem.
Does someone know what modules I have to compile into the Kernel? The nvsound modul loads, but no programm use it.

When aRTs starts, the message:
AudioSubSystem::handleIO: write failed
len = -1, can_write = 4096, errno = 11 comes up,

when then starting xmms with the arts-output plugin you can see that xmms puts out sound (the eqalizer bars move), but nothing comes out the speakers.
xshakma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 09:49 PM   #18
jacen

Hi

The nvsound module is OSS type, i.e., a kind of driver different of ALSA sound driver, so to make xmms work with nvsound select the oss output and it will sound just great!!!

The problem is that arts, and all kde sound, will not work. It actually sounds but in a very bad way. You can try it by selecting in the control center, in the audio section, the Open Sound System Multitrhead (or something like that), and then make a sound test (It is awfull, I know).

So, now you can use xmms with OSS, and mplayer too at the same time.

For the guy who asks about the drivers, the alsa driver use the sound card by SOFTWARE, i.e., it is not using all de HARDWARE capability of the chip, what is the reason why most of us bought it . So yes, you need the Nvidia driver.

Bye!!
jacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 07:46 AM   #19
froycard

Send a message via ICQ to froycard Send a message via Yahoo to froycard

crash --- crash --- crash

crash? I mean FREEZE... Everything keeps freezing when I install those &%# new NVIDIA drivers. When I install video NVIDIA drivers for my FX5200, I experienced random lockups on KDE... when I install NFORCE drivers for my motherboard, my system freezes just before I could login on Linux...

I have followed the NVIDIA drivers installation README, and I don't know what else I can do about it.... or MANDRAKE ver. 10 is in beta stage and very buggy?

MY SYSTEM:
MOTHERBOARD: M3NCG
VIDEO CARD: FX2000
RAM: 512 MB DDR 400
HD: 80 GB
LINUX: MANDRAKE ver. 10 (Downloadable version)

Stranded in Caracas......
froycard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-04, 07:08 AM   #20
HJHiaatje

I am compleltly new to Unix and trying out a SUSE 9.1 32bits distribution on my NForce3 board of MSI.

I used the Linux NForce Driver and all wordek ok. I got on the internet. But after some updates from SUSE. i bow have a new kernel and my internetconnection is gone. Whgen i try to reinstall the driver it says that it can not find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel.
On the NVIDIA pages it says something about (I think, Nividia known problems ) but i really do not understand what ii have to do now.
HJHiaatje is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-04, 06:04 PM   #21
pbwest
pbw

Send a message via AIM to pbwest Send a message via MSN to pbwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJHiaatje
I used the Linux NForce Driver and all wordek ok. I got on the internet. But after some updates from SUSE. i bow have a new kernel and my internetconnection is gone. Whgen i try to reinstall the driver it says that it can not find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel.
The nforce driver has to be compiled for the version of the kernel you are running. If it is a well-known version, nVidia may have compiled it already, and the compiled binary version can simply be installed. If not (for example, the kernel version is new, or you have built your own kernel) the installer will have to compile the driver to match your kernel.

To do that you need to download the kernel-source package that matches the kernel you downloaded. You will also need a C compiler, but I assume that your distribution includes one. Download and install the kernel-source, then try the re-install of the nforce driver again.
pbwest is offline   Reply With Quote