Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-26-04, 01:40 PM   #1
moreejt

Thumbs down external crt trashes lcd

I am trying to make an Nvidia GeForce 4 Go 32M work properly on a Compaq R3140US AMD64 laptop. Using Debian testing/ Xfree 4.3.0.

The LCD works great in 1280x800 with NO monitor plugged in. But I want to be able to see the same thing on the monitor and the CRT at the same time.

Whenever X starts with the monitor plugged in, the NV logo is already trashed on the LCD. Then of course the X session on the lcd is also trashed. This happens with every X Conf file I have ever tried--including other peoples' and a ton of my own hacked versions by reading the nvidia readme. I started with the sample from the readme docs and took out all twin sections (it doesn't work anyway). I also took out all pci references because I noticed the laptop always uses agp settings.

I have attached my X.conf and the verbose log. I even tried using softEdids when modprobing the nvidia module
modprobe nvidia "NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=3"

I have tried putting ConnectedMonitor as CRT and DFP and making a separate monitor section for the lcd. When the LCD did work during this process it was in 320x240 and the CRT turned off.
Attached Files
File Type: txt XFree86.log.txt (37.2 KB, 357 views)
File Type: txt XF86Config-4.txt (5.9 KB, 386 views)
moreejt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 03:22 PM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: external crt trashes lcd

I currently can't look at your logfiles because of some other reasons but I can advise you. As a sort of hardware limitation when you mix a CRT and DFP (lcd screen), the CRT becomes the primary screen. Things like monitor sections and so on need changes. To make it "easier" to set up I would do what I tell you next.

Grab your "old" X config file which you used for your LCD screen. Then use the HorizSync/VertRefresh options to set the refresh rates for BOTH devices. This option overrides the contents of the monitor section and further SecondMonitorHorizSync/VertRefresh if you used those.

Use them like this: Option "HorizSync" "CRT-0: a-b, DFP-0: c-d" where a,b,c and d are the refresh rates like you had them in the monitor secton. (if lets say c and d are the same, just put only one of them; it works just the same as the monitor section)

After this to use both monitors you need to set:
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP, CRT" (order doesn't matter; you can also type DFP-0, CRT-0)

Then you have ofcourse the options Metamodes to set the resolutions on both devices. Again you can use this option in a way like this:
Option "MetaModes" "DFP-0: 1280x1024, CRT-0: 1024x768"
(it would mean the same as MetaModes "1024x768, 1280x1024" where becomes of the hardware limitation the first resolution would correspond to the CRT)

Then using TwinviewOrientation you can choose how both screens should behave (clone, leftof, rightof ..).

To sum it up in case of twinview the CRT becomes the primary screen instead of the DFP. As a way to make setting it up easier I explained a easier way to set things up, using which you don't have to worry much about which screen is the primary or one or not. (note that this way of setting up twinview is newer, before a metamode of the form "CRT-0:1024x768, DFP-0:1280x1024" and the options horizsync didn't exist)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 08:57 AM   #3
moreejt

I tried the options you suggested with the same results. I even tried putting some of the options in both the monitor and the device sections. Also whenever turning on the TwinView option, the LCD always goes off.
Attached Files
File Type: txt XF86Config-4.txt (6.2 KB, 344 views)
Old 08-27-04, 09:13 AM   #4
moreejt

In the log it always shows this
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP,CRT"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TwinView"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TwinViewOrientation" "clone"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "MetaModes" "CRT-0: 1280x1024, DFP-0: 1024x768"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "HorizSync" "CRT-0: 31-82, DFP-0: 31.5-56.5"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "VertRefresh" "CRT-0: 55-120, DFP-0: 50-70"
(**) NVIDIA(0): ConnectedMonitor string: "DFP,CRT"
but then below it shows
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to parse range in HorizSync string
(WW) NVIDIA(0): "CRT-0:31-82,DFP-0:31.5-56.5"; ignoring
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to parse range in VertRefresh string
(WW) NVIDIA(0): "CRT-0:55-120,DFP-0:50-70"; ignoring
(W
Old 09-14-04, 12:16 AM   #5
_xavier_

I have the same problem with a Compaq Presario R3120US with same video card, here is a picture that I took of the failure.

I don't think that this is a configuration issue but a bug in the drivers.

Xavier
_xavier_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-04, 12:28 AM   #6
Compholio

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreejt
I tried the options you suggested with the same results. I even tried putting some of the options in both the monitor and the device sections. Also whenever turning on the TwinView option, the LCD always goes off.
Have you tried the Fn+LCD/CRT button?
Compholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-04, 02:20 AM   #7
_xavier_

Attached are my xorg.conf and the Xorg.0.log files. X is started with `startx -- -layout twinview`.

I have found that the lcd panel shows the bottom horizontal line of pixels, with only half of the pixels (only odd pixels or only even pixels). And that line is repeated from top to bottom of the panel.

Xavier

xavier@ddraig:~$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: GeForce4 420 Go 32M
IRQ: 11
Video BIOS: 04.17.20.43.25
Card Type: AGP

xavier@ddraig:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP Processor 3000+
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 797.890
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 1576.96
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (5.1 KB, 409 views)
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (42.6 KB, 320 views)
Old 09-14-04, 02:22 AM   #8
_xavier_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compholio
Have you tried the Fn+LCD/CRT button?
I have tried that, twinview and xinerama (2 separate screens).

Xavier

Old 09-23-04, 08:36 AM   #9
andrejv

Angry Exactly the same problem

I have exactly the same problem on a HP Compaq nx9105 running SUSE 9.1 and the 6111 driver. No matter whether I use twinview or switch screens with Fn-f4. The LCD always shows the bottom line of the image, vertically spread over the whole screen.

It can't be a timing problem, because it all works perfectly fine if I use the generic VESA driver with the same settings.
andrejv is offline   Reply With Quote