Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-30-04, 11:08 AM   #73
Clay

Default Re: My run-in with a console boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
And BTW, the chip inside the Gamecube was not made by ATI. It was developed by ArtX, who were bought out by ATI right before the Gamecube was released.
You beat me to it.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 11:18 AM   #74
aAv7

The hundred dollar question....is gamecube dx7 or dx8 ? As crappy as most of the games are, I have to say, when they do push out a nice looking, fun game (like metroid) I swear the system has to be dx8.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 12:36 PM   #75
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate17
The hundred dollar question....is gamecube dx7 or dx8 ? As crappy as most of the games are, I have to say, when they do push out a nice looking, fun game (like metroid) I swear the system has to be dx8.
Actually, neither. It isn't really comparable to PC standards, since the hardware is quite different from standard PC graphics cards (much like the PS2). It doesn't have "pixel shaders" per say, but it does have a unit that does something very similar, and while it's usually pretty limited it's also superior to normal DX8 in some ways (and because of that, the only GC emulator out there requires a DX9 card, since a DX8 card doesn't cover all the functions a GC game needs to run). Sadly the "pixel shader" unit on the GC isn't use much, but when it is it really shows (take a look at the water in Pikmin 2, it looks pretty neat). I wonder what effects RE4 uses...it certainly does look impressive coming from $100 piece of hardware.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 05:58 PM   #76
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Hey hey, I won't hear words against the Gamecube. Sure, it may not be as pretty or 'cool' as the Xbox or PS2, but DAMN, it had some of the MOST FUN GAMES. Double-dash, Super Monkey Ball, Mario Sunshine? And it was small and looked like a toaster. I personally really liked the GC, and it was the only one of this gen of consoles I actually seriously considered buying.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 06:03 PM   #77
Goth

One of the reason why PC gaming has a bad rep is because most PCs are sold with striped down video cards which make games look and run horrible. There is nothing like running a game on a Dell with an intergrated video card. I have taken a console freak and showed him games on a 6800 Ultra and change their mind.
BFG 6800 Ultra OC
Maxtor 80GB ATA133
Sony 16X DVD RW
WinTV 250
SuperFlower 550w PSU 30A 12V Rail
WinXP x64
Goth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 06:11 PM   #78
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Not a darn thing wrong with the GC. Great console that unfortunately has to live the in the shadow of the Playstation juggernaut (same goes for the Xbox, though to a much lesser extent).
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 06:13 PM   #79
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Precisely what happened with the N64, a awesome console with great games. I never understood how the first playstation could be viewed as so great.
Old 09-30-04, 06:17 PM   #80
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
I never understood how the first playstation could be viewed as so great.
The N64 came to market late. The Playstation's intended competition was the Saturn. The Saturn launched at $399, with crappy-looking 3D slapped on at the end of its development cycle. The Playstation was an uber-console built from the ground up (as opposed to buying parts off the shelf and building it - like the Xbox) with full 3D goodness built into it. It launched at $299, and it had developers lining up in droves because unlike Nintendo and Sega, Sony was not operated by a bunch of Nazis.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-04, 06:31 PM   #81
aAv7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
The N64 came to market late. The Playstation's intended competition was the Saturn. The Saturn launched at $399, with crappy-looking 3D slapped on at the end of its development cycle. The Playstation was an uber-console built from the ground up (as opposed to buying parts off the shelf and building it - like the Xbox) with full 3D goodness built into it. It launched at $299, and it had developers lining up in droves because unlike Nintendo and Sega, Sony was not operated by a bunch of Nazis.

I agree that GC has some decent games....but i'll be damned if I'll sit here and listen to sega saturn bashing =P Still one of my favorite consoles of all time. N64 was a decent system....if you liked wrestling and racing games....and bad ports of pc shooters....I dunno...aside from zeldaot, goldeneye 007 and wcw/nWo : revenge....I never saw much in the system. Course I hated psone..and the only reason I had one was to play FF7...damn game turned out to be so good I kept the system to replay it about...oh...a million times.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 06:32 PM   #82
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

It was marketed rather poorly in the beginning but imo the N64 is a far superior console to the PS1
Old 09-30-04, 06:43 PM   #83
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goth
One of the reason why PC gaming has a bad rep is because most PCs are sold with striped down video cards which make games look and run horrible. There is nothing like running a game on a Dell with an intergrated video card.
What's even worse is when they're like my friend's or parent's computers, where they DON'T HAVE AN AGP slot and can only allocate 8MB to the video memory! My god, even the Dreamcast was more powerful than that. So yeah, a lot of the "PCs constantly need upgrading and isn't as powerful as a console" and such talk comes from the fact that companies like Dell, Compaq, and HP ship their systems with the crappiest video and sound hardware availible. It's sad when a 6 year old console has twice as much video ram as a "modern" off-the-shelf PC, you'd think they'd actually give it hardware that matters rather than just increasnig the GHZ rating by .2 and stipping it of a video and sound card.

Oh, and I liked the Saturn. 3d was problematic but at times was still very impressive (ever see Burning Rangers or Panzer Dragoon Orta? Amazing transparency and surface effects, and that was on a system that supposedly couldn't do transparencies!), but 2d was amazing. Dragon Force>All. The only game that I got home from school to play, and then didn't stop playing until I had to go to school again the next day

Didn't like the N64 a whole lot, but I still think Perfect Dark is one of the best FPS games out there. If only they remade it for Xbox...online play+smooth framerate+decent controller for the game=win!
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 08:05 PM   #84
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

I wasn't baggin out the Gamecube (I've been a fan of Nintendo since 1987 and i own only Nintendo consoles. Not a fanboy, just money limited.) i do like the effects that they use in Metroid and the such for heat dispersion.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote