Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-04, 01:47 AM   #13
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: hl2 is looking good

by the time it releases I might have enough money saved up for a new card and the special edition game pack

I like the overall feel of the storyline from what was described... its the first time I have read up on the storyline @ all thus far (i've been shielding myself) and even then I didn't read much more than a few lines here and there from the pics

can't wait...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 02:28 AM   #14
theultimo
DoD + Sharepoint=Headache

Waiting to Preorder Gold over steam.
theultimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 03:30 AM   #15
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by theultimo
Waiting to Preorder Gold over steam.
Same here.
Old 10-04-04, 10:11 AM   #16
dante_uk
Geforce FX5900

Sorry not impressed. Those screenshots looked dated. Badly.

Unified lighting is the future I think. Anything with out it now looks dated. The 'new' HL2 screenshots would have looked good a year and half ago, but now they look like q2 with higher res textures and few shaders for water and that magnifing glass.

I will say the faces look really good and detailed and if they actually pulled of the lipsinking as they claimed then it will easily be the most impressive feature of the engine. ( which is not really saying much though ).
-- "I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone" Bjarne Stronstrup (originator of C++ programming language)

Gigabyte S478 Intel 845E / P4 2.2Ghz / 1GB DDR / GF FX 5900 128MB (400/850) / SB Live! Player 5.1 / XP Pro sp1 (DirectX9.0c) / Suse 8.2

Last edited by dante_uk; 10-04-04 at 10:38 AM.
dante_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 10:44 AM   #17
Vash
Angel Arms

Unified lighting is the future, I agree with you there. But to say that anything without it looks dated smacks of hyperbole. Like anything other piece of eye candy, it's a tool for creating atmosphere - and if your game's atmosphere wouldn't benefit from accurate, real-time shadows, then you avoid a sizeable performance hit.

Quote:
Those screenshots looked dated. Badly
Looks better than Far Cry, IMO. Better design, more interesting/"realistic" scenery, and those NPC's faces blow everything else out of the water. IMO, Half-Life 2's strength is going to be in the details - how the NPC's faces actually make expressions, how their eyes move correctly and look right, how the sunset glints off a trickle of water in a ditch, how the skybox is animated and the use of well-thought out atmospheric perspective.

Unified lighting is nice, but it (or the lack thereof) shouldn't "date" the look of the game.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 01:09 PM   #18
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Ehhh... its hard to compare Far Cry and Half Life 2 I would say... one involves a bunch of islands and tropical stuff... one involves cities and more urban areas. I think tropical islands with all of that organic life and stuff would be much harder to create.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 02:01 PM   #19
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Send a message via AIM to karkrash81

we also have to remember that only a small percentage of the people that buy half life 2 will give a rat's ass about the technical aspects of the gaming engine...the majority of the gaming public could care less whether the game has a unified lighting model or not... most people just want to have fun...

personally, i think half life 2 looks quite impressive. The environments, apparent poly counts, shaders, all combine to be a very very nice looking game. Also, who knows what the source engine can be modified into?
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
What I'm Playing this Week: Nothing!
karkrash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 02:16 PM   #20
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

i'm not a big half life fan, but i will say that being able to manipulate the enironment so much is cool
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-04, 02:25 PM   #21
Vash
Angel Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Ehhh... its hard to compare Far Cry and Half Life 2 I would say... one involves a bunch of islands and tropical stuff... one involves cities and more urban areas. I think tropical islands with all of that organic life and stuff would be much harder to create.
Yeah, it's comparing apples to goats. Really, comparing Far Cry, HL2 and Doom 3 is difficult because they each have specific goals concerning their graphics and they've been coded to meet those goals.

Creating organic environs is very tough... but so's creating a facial expression system (that works well) and, like I said, I'm very impressed with the amount of polish that's gone into the little details that we've seen so far in HL2. And the art direction.

Anyway, karkrash81's got a point - I couldn't care less about the technical specs, really. It's got a lot of cool stuff in it that promises to make the game more immersive.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 02:49 PM   #22
|MaguS|

While im not comparing the engines, I must say that I think HL2 has better texture work then both Farcry and Doom 3. Main reason? Everything is not shiny... For a Mars military base, it was all pretty well polished. Farcry just had everything shiny... from models to cave walls... just looked way to fake.

HL2 is going for realism and suceeds, the texture work is awsome. Sand and rust look like they should. Skin textures are some of the best I have ever seen...
Old 10-04-04, 02:53 PM   #23
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
I couldn't care less about the technical specs, really. It's got a lot of cool stuff in it that promises to make the game more immersive.
Bingo. I want a great gameply experience. Good graphics are a nice touch to enhance a game, but they are not the be all end all, as Doom 3 has clearly shown. I'm looking forward to the ability to interact with the environment and (from what I've read) to be able to explore without following a specific path. I want immersion in my games, be it from the environment, other characters or whatever.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 03:26 PM   #24
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Send a message via AIM to karkrash81

I'm eager to see how the AI performs in HL2... especially concerning friendly characters like Alyx, Dog, and other main characters.

I agree that it is difficult to compare HL2, Doom 3, and far cry in terms of presentation.

The atmosphere presented in Half Life 2 feels like the cold war... Reminds me of old photos of East Berlin... so far out of the 3 reviews they're saying that the city is the most fully realized gaming environment ever...I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If there's a graphics debate to be had I think it would be "how does hl2 look compared to d3, far cry on an average mid-range system while maintaining acceptable playability?" since most gamers don't have the uber powerful machines to run everything at full detail...
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
What I'm Playing this Week: Nothing!
karkrash81 is offline   Reply With Quote