Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-03-04, 11:49 PM   #61
Rakeesh

Default Re: HL2 review, 96% in PCG UK

You mean to say that vaporware valve might actually release something? Releasing and selling software...what a concept.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 10:41 AM   #62
dante_uk
Geforce FX5900

Sorry not impressed. Those screenshots looked dated. Badly.

I don't trust the reviews either.

Engine:

Unified lighting is the future I think. Anything with out it now looks dated. The 'new' HL2 screenshots would have looked good a year and half ago, but now they look like q2 with higher res textures and few shaders for water and that magnifing glass.

I will say the faces look really good and detailed and if they actually pulled of the lipsinking as they claimed then it will easily be the most impressive feature of the engine. ( which is not really saying much though ).

Gameplay:
Gravity gun sounds like fun, a gimmick, but it sounds like it's the gimmick that 'makes the game fun'. I mean really, so some guy runs out and starts shooting at you, so you shout "hold on a sec, just let me use this gravity gun to suck that radiator of the wall to use as a shield". So assuming it has enough power to rip the thing of the wall and bring it hurtling toward you, does it then reverse the field so you don't get flattened by it? I guess the AI is coded to miss you for the first 5 seconds or so to give to time to suck some piece of furniture to use as a shield.

I'm still looking forward to playing with a gravity gun in Doom3, just for laughs. Someone already has a working prototype able to pull physics objects and bodies towards the player and then throw them again.
The vechicals will be fun too ( I played the leaked HL2 non-alpha, non-alpha because it whould have to be a lot closer to compelte to be an alpha, as in it still needed another year. ), looking forward to the Doom3 SDK with it's promised map with vechical support.
-- "I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone" Bjarne Stronstrup (originator of C++ programming language)

Gigabyte S478 Intel 845E / P4 2.2Ghz / 1GB DDR / GF FX 5900 128MB (400/850) / SB Live! Player 5.1 / XP Pro sp1 (DirectX9.0c) / Suse 8.2

Last edited by dante_uk; 10-04-04 at 11:15 AM.
dante_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 10:56 AM   #63
Vash
Angel Arms

Was it really necessary to post exactly the same thing in two threads (albeit slightly expanded here)?

If you think all that HL2's got going for it is the gravity gun, then I think it likely that you'll be pleasantly surprised. Or feel completely vindicated, depending how much you like to troll. But by all means, please, save your money if you think it's going to bite the big one.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 11:23 AM   #64
dante_uk
Geforce FX5900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
Was it really necessary to post exactly the same thing in two threads (albeit slightly expanded here)?

If you think all that HL2's got going for it is the gravity gun, then I think it likely that you'll be pleasantly surprised. Or feel completely vindicated, depending how much you like to troll. But by all means, please, save your money if you think it's going to bite the big one.
Never sure which thread to post in when two thread end up with the subjects.

I intend to wait for a demo and some real reviews(ie review by people with nothing to gain from a good review - which mag will get the exclusive playable demo first ? ) before deciding to buy HL2 or now.

I try not to be a troll but I've been reading so many posts in various places about how the Source engine so great and will be the best etc with no real evidence. Those bink movies look cool but in pure CG terms can anyone honestly say the graphics ( ie rendering engine ) looked better than the Doom3 trailer?

I won't be surprised if HL2 has better gameplay than Doom3 ( I loved doom3 - a straight fps - lots of demons to shoot in a stunningly detailed environment - or just a series of dark corridors, I know a lot of people can't see past that but that's their problem not mine. )
I've not tried HL2's gameplay yet and nor has anyone else ( accepts a few mag previewers and publishers QA team ).

I had fun with the gravity gun and the buggy in the leaked devsnapshot, it's not possible to draw any gameplay details from that version because it didn't have any, just a few scripted events in the e3 levels( a shame valve claimed at the time those events weren't scripted ).

If, after it actually hits stores, enough people sing it's praises and I like the demo - then I'll buy it. What I don't buy is any of the hype that so many other people seem to take as fact.
-- "I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone" Bjarne Stronstrup (originator of C++ programming language)

Gigabyte S478 Intel 845E / P4 2.2Ghz / 1GB DDR / GF FX 5900 128MB (400/850) / SB Live! Player 5.1 / XP Pro sp1 (DirectX9.0c) / Suse 8.2
Old 10-04-04, 11:49 AM   #65
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

One thing I've been very impressed with on this message board is that I've not seen anyone post stuff like - omfg hl2 si going 2 be teh greatestest game evar!!!11

Everyone has been very level-headed and has certainly not been caught up in any of the hype.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 12:26 PM   #66
Vash
Angel Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante_uk
Never sure which thread to post in when two thread end up with the subjects.
Me either. But generally, I pick the one with the most pages - it's more likely that people'll see it. No harm done.

Quote:
I try not to be a troll but I've been reading so many posts in various places about how the Source engine so great and will be the best etc with no real evidence. Those bink movies look cool but in pure CG terms can anyone honestly say the graphics ( ie rendering engine ) looked better than the Doom3 trailer?
I may have jumped the gun on the troll thing. I figured since you'd posted in two threads the exact same thing, you were out for a bit of trolling - again, no harm done. Sorry about that.

As for Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 graphics thing: IMO, the only thing that Doom 3's got going for it (graphically) is unified lighting and some bump mapping. Yes, it makes the game very atmospheric, but I was disappointed that the NPCs weren't more lifelike. Nothing in particular instantly jumps out to me about HL2's graphical goodness other than the shader they have for the water - but like I said in the other thread, HL2's graphical deliciousness comes in the form of lots and lots of little details: facial expressions, correct eye movement/size/lighting, high level of interactivity with levels, excellent use of atmospheric perspective and a real genius with shaders and textures. It doesn't blow your mind, it sneaks in the back door and boom - you're immersed. (I also really dig the game's art design - very, very sharp stuff).

Quote:
What I don't buy is any of the hype that so many other people seem to take as fact.
Doom 3 was a good game. It had its faults, but I definitely feel I've gotten my money's worth. As for buying into hype... like Sat said, there are very few people around here who've bought the hype. I'm excited about it, definitely, and I'm glad I've got my preorder in. Whether or not it ends up being as good or better than the first Half-Life remains to be seen.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 12:39 PM   #67
dante_uk
Geforce FX5900

Talking Re: HL2 review, 96% in PCG UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
No harm done.
... like Sat said, there are very few people around here who've bought the hype. I'm excited about it, definitely, and I'm glad I've got my preorder in. Whether or not it ends up being as good or better than the first Half-Life remains to be seen.
Yep, no harm and Sat is right. This forum is a lot better than most for not being suckered into the hype machines. Unfortunately I'd just read too many posts of other forums before posting here.

Sorry if I sound too negative. I'll admit to being an id fanboy too, but I do try not to let it show too much

Old 10-04-04, 01:08 PM   #68
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

OMGZ HAF LIFE 2 IS GUNA BE TEH R0X0RS11!!!1! 10/10

But seriously, though I have my reservations, I have very high hopes for this game. I just hope it can deliver.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-04, 12:03 AM   #69
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Higher resolution than before:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=109992

Also, the new PCZONE magazine released its review... lets try to see if I can dig up ss's..... It got a 97%

Quote:
Play it, enjoy it, savour it. Games may never get this good again.
Go to my first post for more info:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...3&postcount=13
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vortal_pic_130510.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	8134  

Last edited by jAkUp; 10-06-04 at 12:23 AM.
jAkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 12:17 AM   #70
Omega53

Is it me, or do a lot of HL2 shots look really similar to stalker?
Venice 3000+ 64 @ [COLOR=Red]2.5ghz (278 FSB)[/COLOR]
1 GiG Cosair XMS 2.5-3-3-6 @ [COLOR=Blue]230Mhz[/COLOR]
19" Viewsonic G90f
[URL="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1275491"]8600 3D Mark 05[/URL]
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 12:43 AM   #71
aAv7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53
Is it me, or do a lot of HL2 shots look really similar to stalker?

I was thinking that too. I guess our eyes are getting used to dx9 titles. DX7 and DX8 titles are easy to spot after one or two pics, so I guess it was only a matter of time before we started adapting to DX9 visuals. Looks great...but yea...stalker/hl2/fear all have that same look to them....I dont mind though....I'm just happy to finally be out of the quake 3 engine era.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote