Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-07-04, 05:47 PM   #1
throughput

Default nvidia.o options

Is there any way to load the nvidia driver in the XF86Config file and tell it which video card to associate itself to. I have three PCI NVIDIA Quadro 280 cards and an onboard Intel that require independent heads. I can use only one NVIDIA board dual outputs at a time. It depends on which BusID aliases the nvidia driver first.

--
Attached Files
File Type: zip XF86Config.zip (1.8 KB, 120 views)
throughput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 12:59 AM   #2
ateam
Interweb Lover

Send a message via AIM to ateam
Default Re: nvidia.o options

I plan on using an nVIDIA GeForce FX5600 XT (agp) card's dual-monitor capabilities while using a GeForce 5200 (pci) for TV-out. This isn't possible because not more than one card can use the "nvidia" driver at once, you're saying?
ateam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 09:10 AM   #3
throughput

Hopeful you can, but I am not clear on how to do it. What comes to mind is when you have several of the same network cards installed and the same driver is utilized for say "eth0 eth1 eth2". I don't know how to get the driver to work for each separate instance say "PCI:1:0:0 PCI:1:2:0 PCI:1:4:0". With the network cards the module alias is utilized. NVIDIA installs an alias, but I am not certain if or what you can change. Read the link on how someone has utilized more than 3 cards and the nvidia driver reported that the maximum number of devices was exceeded. The link describes how they attempted to use AGP and PCI unsuccessfully, but 3 PCI worked OK. Hmm maybe that's my problem.

http://www.evl.uic.edu/pape/CAVE/lin...Multihead.html

Get back soon.
Old 10-08-04, 09:24 AM   #4
throughput

Well guess what?

The previous post has the link providing the answer to my question. I changed my config to use only the PCI cards and it worked. I will see if I can get more information on AGP and PCI usage. It seems that you can use one AGP and one PCI, but no more unless you go all PCI. At least that's the situation that I am in.

--