Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-27-02, 06:26 PM   #1
PiTHON

Default what hsf for OC'ing a p4 2.4@533bus?

whats a good heatsink/fan for overclocking a p4 2.4? for some reason my runs real hot under load with the stock fan anyway (63 celcius according to asus probe :O ) 49c idle right now.

i already have everything else needed.. an enermax 430w p.s., asus p4pe which can lock the agp and pci voltages, 2 extra case fans in addition to the 2 ps fans, a small fan ima put on the northbridge passive heatsink, and corsair xms ddr400 ram...
PiTHON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-02, 06:49 PM   #2
pelly

Believe it or not, the stock Intel heatsink should really perform well for you.....

I would hazard to guess that something is wrong with the setup or the finish of the heatsink...as such, let's take a look at the following:

1) Are you using thermal tape ( white film ) or thermal paste? For optimum results, your best bet is to use a paper-thin layer of thermal paste. A favorite brand is Arctic Silver...put on a layer that is just thick enough to cover the face of the CPU...

2) Is the bottom of the heatsink flat? Using some low-grit sandpaper...go over the bottom of the heatsink for roughly 5min...Then, increase the grit of sandpaper being used and sand for another few minutes...Continue until you've worked up to a high grit like 320....By this time, the surface should be polished like a mirror and you should be able to see a reflection in it...

Basically, lapping a heatsink ensures the maximum amount of surface area for the heatsink is touching the face of the CPU...

Should you be convinced you need a new heatsink...the AVC Sunflower is a popular favorite...and Thermaltake has their Spark 7 and new SubZeroG coolers...

Hope this helps!

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-02, 09:04 PM   #3
PiTHON

the stock heatsinks come with a tinfoil like pad with some black stuff on it (the black stuff scrapes off) according to this site http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...id=1220&page=7 its a carbon pad..

so no its not flat, i didn't check the cpu before i put it in, sometimes the top of hte heatspreader isn't flat

i was plannin on gettin a copper hs and some arctic silver neway, that thermaltake one looks pretty good
PiTHON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-02, 09:21 PM   #4
pelly

Dah!

If you can spare $5 and about 5min of your time, you can have that retail heatsink cooling things down in no time!

Just peel off the garbage thermal tape and clean the bottom with alchohol...then buy some Arctic Silver and apply as listed above...

Watch and smile as temps drop like a rock!

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-02, 02:27 AM   #5
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Talking

Don't forget to lap it! Lap it good! Anyways, yeah, stock HSF works great. I wanted better tho, heh.
Old 11-29-02, 02:52 PM   #6
Mono
wtf?

swiftech mxc4000 or whatever if you got 50-60 bucks.
TT Volcano 7+ if you got 20-30 bucks.
Those are my suggestions.
I'm watercooled now though, so who needs air