Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-09-04, 10:34 AM   #1
nitAnts

Question nVidia drivers on debian.

I try to install my nForce network card (integrated) on debian system.
The debian I installed is testing version, guess it should be Sarge.
Kenerl is 2.6.8.

I already got kernal source under directory /usr/src/linux.
And then I ran the install file, it tried to compile the drivers. But at the end it got an error message say can not find nvidia.ko file.

below I attached the log file. Could anyone take a look and help me out here ?

I am quite a newbie for linux so please give me more explanations. thanks your guys all.
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-nforce-installer.txt (15.9 KB, 202 views)
File Type: txt nvidia-installer.txt (13.1 KB, 134 views)
nitAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 10:54 AM   #2
Lithorus

Default Re: nVidia drivers on debian.

Did you download a kernel from kernel.org or did you use the kernel-source from apt?

The kernel from debian has some patches and stuff that probably isn't compatible with a vanilla kernel.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 11:00 AM   #3
Thunderbird

Really make sure you use the correct kernel headers for your kernel. The drivers want the EXACT headers that were used to build the kernel (unless the kernel was build without module versions ..). To get those headers you need the kernel-headers package for your kernel:
apt-get install kernel-headers-$(uname -r)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 11:27 AM   #4
nitAnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
Did you download a kernel from kernel.org or did you use the kernel-source from apt?

The kernel from debian has some patches and stuff that probably isn't compatible with a vanilla kernel.
When I install debian I select the 2.6.8 i386 kernel.
So, I use the kernel-source file which has the same version as the one showed in grub interface. I downloaded it from debians offical ftp. And then use dpkg to install it manually.
Old 10-09-04, 11:31 AM   #5
nitAnts

Question Re: nVidia drivers on debian.

BTW: There is a command name as "kernelversion". When I used it, it shows only 2.6 . no more information. Is that means I use 2.6 kernel instead of 2.6.8 ?

many thanks,
Old 10-09-04, 02:42 PM   #6
Lithorus

kernelversion will only show you 2.6 for a 2.6.8 kernel. If you copy paste the command as Thunderbird gave you it will automatically get the correct headers, because the uname -r command will output your kernelversion with revision numbers, in theory. However since there are revisions of the packages you probably have to do a "apt-get install kernel-headers-$(uname -r)-1" for the first revision of the debian kernel. Although this is true for my own system which is using unstable/experimental, but you can always use "apt-cache search" and find the names or frontend like aptitude.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 05:56 PM   #7
Leech

Also, make sure you create a symlink for the headers. For you, since you seemingly have the kernel-image-2.6.8-1-386 package, what you'll want to do is apt-get like they said before, then do 'ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.8-1-386 /usr/src/linux' and then try to compile the driver.... I looked for a bit on the net to see if there were already packages for the driver, but I could only find some for the Graphics driver, I've never used any of their chipsets or anything.

Leech

Last edited by Leech; 10-09-04 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Oops on the symlink, need the /usr/src/linux
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote