Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-04, 01:44 PM   #1
tburbage

Default Success building/installing NV 1.0-611 for RHEL 2.4.21-20EL?

After spending a full day attempting to get the NV 1.0-611 driver built and installed for Red Hat Enterprise WS 3, kernel 2.4.21-20EL i686, I thought this post from "roo man" dated 10/7 on the "Official NVIDIA Linux installer feedback thread":

>>This worked for me;
>>Run the nvidia installation .run file with "--add-this-kernel" appended (no colons)
>>This creates a new installation file with the word "custom" inserted. Be patient, it took so >>long I thought my box had crashed!
>>Running the newly created ...xxx.custom.pkg.run file shouuld now install the drivers...

was finally my answer. However, the build/install process still fails for me even after building and running the custom .run package. Despite the warnings about the 'rivafb' driver conflict issue, I think the process is still failing on the build rather than the load because after this process 'nvidia.o' is nowhere to be found.

I have the "kernel-source" package for that kernel version installed as well as the needed compiler resources, so that isn't the problem. The best clue I can find is that during this process the file pkg-history.txt is created which contains a list of the kernel versions it has created precompiled kernel interfaces for, but 2.4.21-20EL is not listed. The newest EL version ls 2.4.21-15.EL i686.

I can't find the "kernel-source" package for the 2.4.21-15EL anywhere on Red Hat Network. I'm feeling at a dead end at this point...

Has anyone had success in getting NV 1.0-611 built and installed for this kernel version?
tburbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-04, 09:59 PM   #2
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Default Re: Success building/installing NV 1.0-611 for RHEL 2.4.21-20EL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburbage
After spending a full day attempting to get the NV 1.0-611 driver built and installed for Red Hat Enterprise WS 3, kernel 2.4.21-20EL i686, I thought this post from "roo man" dated 10/7 on the "Official NVIDIA Linux installer feedback thread":

>>This worked for me;
>>Run the nvidia installation .run file with "--add-this-kernel" appended (no colons)
>>This creates a new installation file with the word "custom" inserted. Be patient, it took so >>long I thought my box had crashed!
>>Running the newly created ...xxx.custom.pkg.run file shouuld now install the drivers...

was finally my answer. However, the build/install process still fails for me even after building and running the custom .run package. Despite the warnings about the 'rivafb' driver conflict issue, I think the process is still failing on the build rather than the load because after this process 'nvidia.o' is nowhere to be found.

I have the "kernel-source" package for that kernel version installed as well as the needed compiler resources, so that isn't the problem. The best clue I can find is that during this process the file pkg-history.txt is created which contains a list of the kernel versions it has created precompiled kernel interfaces for, but 2.4.21-20EL is not listed. The newest EL version ls 2.4.21-15.EL i686.

I can't find the "kernel-source" package for the 2.4.21-15EL anywhere on Red Hat Network. I'm feeling at a dead end at this point...

Has anyone had success in getting NV 1.0-611 built and installed for this kernel version?
Go and run 'up2date install kernel-source' from the command line, this will download and install the kernel-source. I run RHEL3 as well, and have not had any problems.

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote