Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-25-02, 09:10 AM   #1
druga runda
Zeus Gromovnik

Default Tim Sweeney on UT2003 and 64bit Hammer

http://www.evilavatar.com/redirected...rdware/M42050/

Quote:
Tim Sweeney Q&A 11/24/2002 3:27:04 PM by Evil Avatar
For your Sunday Afternoon reading pleasure, I contacted Epic's Tim Sweeney to ask him a few questions about the upcoming 64-bit update to Unreal Tournament 2003.

Evil Avatar: Will the 64 bit update for Unreal Tournament 2003 only be for Linux? A few people in my forums said it was only for 64-bit Linux. Do you know what distro's of Linux are 64-bit?

Tim Sweeney: We showed UT2003 on 64-bit SUSE Linux. I'm not sure what other distros are available, but assume they'll all catch up at some point.

We're very much hoping and/or looking forward to a 64-bit X86-64 version of Windows, and will support it as soon as it's available, but don't have any official word from Microsoft on if or when that will happen.

Evil Avatar: Can you give me any idea what kind of a performance increase people might see running the 64-bit version?

Tim Sweeney: In pure CPU performance, Athlon64 is about 15% faster than previous Athlon's of identical clock rate for 32-bit apps, and 30% for 64-bit apps, because it exposes double the number of CPU registers, enabling the compiler to generate more efficient code. As for UT2003 performance, we haven't benchmarked yet but expect it to be faster though less than 30% because the GPU is as significant a factor as CPU.

Evil Avatar: I know its oddball, but is there any chance of 64-bit updates to Unreal or Unreal Tournament?

Tim Sweeney: No, we don't plan to release 64-bit updates to Unreal 1, UT1999, Jazz Jackrabbit, or Jill of the Jungle. :-)
There you go, just a few snippets of information to get you thinking about AMD's new "Hammer" 64-bit CPU's.

Suse Linux... that is great to see Linux score a "first" support in gaming. It seems to me gaming is what Linux needs to become mainstream, really with UT2003 on board... we are getting close... Doom III too (I think JC confirmed that)... freedom

Nevermind, on Hammer, 15% faster clock for clock in 32 bit than Athlon, and at least it was meant to be designed to run faster than current Athlon incarnations (so hopefully it will ramp up beyond 2 ghz soon). Plus if 64 bit registers are enabled 30% advantage...

So what does it make? 2.25 ghz Hammer should catch 3/3.2 ghz HT P4, or even beat it, especially as it supportys SSE2 and those huge P4 advantages for SSE2 enabled apps will be gone too.

Can't wait.
druga runda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-02, 08:20 PM   #2
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"

Send a message via AIM to Dazz

30% is quite a lot in 64bit
Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-02, 08:50 PM   #3
ReDeeMeR
The Guy Next Door *wink*

Send a message via ICQ to ReDeeMeR

nice.
ReDeeMeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-02, 09:36 PM   #4
StealthHawk

hold on there partner. you must have skimed over this.

Quote:
As for UT2003 performance, we haven't benchmarked yet but expect it to be faster though less than 30% because the GPU is as significant a factor as CPU.
Old 11-26-02, 10:56 AM   #5
volt

Okay so that's like 5% on average haha
And I don't believe them they didn't benchmark it
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-02, 12:16 AM   #6
SavagePaladin
info*****

You CAN set up UT2003 so that the vidcard isn't much of a stresser, really, it just depends what people are doing with the game I'd guess.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-02, 12:48 AM   #7
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

yeah, ut2k3 is all cpu. i have two gf2 gts systems. one a p3 600, another a tbird 1.05ghz. on the p3 600, i barely get 22-25fps avg on 640x480x16 with lowest details. on the tbird 1.05ghz i'm getting 50fps avg in game at 800x600x16 with normal details.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-02, 02:54 PM   #8
Mono
wtf?

if only ut2k3 was fun

on the other hand, there's alot of games already using ut2k3 engine. that'd be cool if raven shield supported it

Old 11-29-02, 03:38 PM   #9
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by Mono
if only ut2k3 was fun

on the other hand, there's alot of games already using ut2k3 engine. that'd be cool if raven shield supported it
its not a bad game, but I can't really play it online (lots of people with 56k apparently have this problem) and it gets old somewhat quick. On the other hand, theres already Deathball, some kick arse skins (Blade,) lots of stuff on the way (bonus pack, more patches, stuff)
Old 11-29-02, 05:23 PM   #10
Mono
wtf?

Quote:
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
its not a bad game, but I can't really play it online (lots of people with 56k apparently have this problem) and it gets old somewhat quick. On the other hand, theres already Deathball, some kick arse skins (Blade,) lots of stuff on the way (bonus pack, more patches, stuff)
It's not bad, just gets repetative way to fast. And I dun know.. I still prefer Rocket Arena 3 over it
o btw, lost of us on broadband get horrible lag in that game too.
Old 11-29-02, 08:16 PM   #11
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by Mono
It's not bad, just gets repetative way to fast. And I dun know.. I still prefer Rocket Arena 3 over it
o btw, lost of us on broadband get horrible lag in that game too.
I dunno, post patch its supposedly good enough.

I can PLAY it...in deathmatch...since everyone isn't bunny hopping while carring the ball and shiz, I can't aim at those people with lag...