Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-19-04, 09:05 PM   #1
Sc0rp10n

Default Call of Duty GOTY - random freeze - WTF?

i have the system in my sig and the 61.77 drivers. i originally had a geforce 5900 and got the same problem. i can play the game for an hour, or i can play the game for 2 minutes. single player or multiplayer. the #$%^%$# game will lock up and i have to hard boot my system by holding in the power switch. i'm running at 4xAA and 8xAF.

so what's the deal here? i have the latest patch installed for the game. i have all in-game settings turned to full bc, well, my system should be able to handle it. and it does when it's not crashing - the game is buttery smooth at 1024x768.

i have owned this game before but sold it b/c i got so frustrated with the crashes under my 5900. i bought the GOTY edition at a reduced price thinking maybe game patches have solved the problems...nope.

just for reference, i've played completely through (and finished) tron 2.0, painkiller, far cry, and doom 3 on this system and none of those games crashed once. in my opinion this is completely unacceptable from call of duty.
Sc0rp10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-04, 09:26 PM   #2
Sc0rp10n

Default Re: Call of Duty GOTY - random freeze - WTF?

looking through their support system it looks like their universal answer is:

1) turn sound hardware acceleration to basic (this didn't work for me)
2) make sure your normal windows desktop is set to 800x600x32. i can't possibly see where this would make a difference, but, um, mkay. i guess i can try this. kind of a pain in the butt though.
3) turn off all background processes. WTF ever. windows has like a bajillion background processes. am i really supposed to go through and turn off every single thing so i can play this stupid game?

this has to be a silly error. i mean, i played completely through far cry, painkiller, tron 2.0, and doom3 with no problems. what's so different about call of duty? the fact that they haven't resolved this in a patch really says something to me.
Old 10-19-04, 09:41 PM   #3
Sc0rp10n

well, H2 will be out in 3 weeks and HL2 will be out in 4. if i don't get to play CoD it won't be the end of the world, but i've heard such great things about it and the scripted sequences. i just can't believe with my system i'm having these problems. i don't have anything funky on my system at all. all very standard stuff. it's weird that every other game i've ever put into it works flawlessly, but CoD craps out every single time.
Old 10-20-04, 12:45 AM   #4
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

The only problem with COD: UO was the flashy arms and guns when ur near a flame.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-04, 04:06 AM   #5
PSYCHODAD
cereal killer

I play CoD and CoD UO quite often and never had a single problem. Also, play online with all settings maxed out and 1600x1200 res. And thats with the 6800u. Don't believe the graphics card is necessarily causing the problem.

Oh yeah, and it also plays well on my 5900xt also. (just not quite as well)
System #1
CPU INTEL|3rd gen I-7@3.7ghz
16gb memory Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
PSU Siverstone Zeus 850w
EVGA 660gtx
Logitech G400 gaming mouse
Dell 2407WFP 24" lcd

Video Games -- Why waste good technology on science and medicine?
PSYCHODAD is offline   Reply With Quote