Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-25-04, 06:50 AM   #1
S3phiroth

Default Geforce 4200go Temperature sensors

Hello,

How can I do in order to have my geforce temp? I've got it under windows so I suppose there's a sensor on my geforce, but under Linux with the 6111 drivers and nvidia-settings there's no temp monitor ... Does someone knows anithings about that ?
S3phiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 07:02 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Geforce 4200go Temperature sensors

To clear some things up there are two types of temperature monitoring. In the past some vendors added sensor chips connected to the i2c-/smbus of the gpu to measure things like the temperature. (For example most leadtek boards shipped with this but also some asus and msi boards) These days various new GPUs contain temperature monitoring partly inside the gpu (a small external chip is still needed but it is not connected to the i2c-bus). GPUs with this option are various GeforceFX and Geforce6800 boards but not all vendors use the option.

The cards with temperature monitoring support in nvidia-settings are the ones with temperature monitoring inside the GPU. For the other type of cards you can use lm-sensors which contains a i2c driver for nvidia cards from the rivatv project. The only problem is that since 1.0-6xxx nvidia made it more difficult for other drivers to access the card. As a result of this drivers like rivatv don't work with the nvidia drivers.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote