Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-25-04, 10:27 AM   #1
Hyper_Eye

Default Accuracy of thermal monitor?

How accurate is the thermal monitor in the nvidia-settings tool for the 6800 GT? Mine is showing a core temperature of 67C. I am watercooling the video card (as well as the CPU and Northbridge) and it seems to high. A diode and the bottom of the board underneath the GPU is showing 26C there. The temperature of my CPU on the water cooling rig is 35C. I want to try overclocking my card a little but I a worried that my temp's are wrong and the Thermal Monitor is right.
Hyper_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 12:37 PM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Accuracy of thermal monitor?

This temperature is the temperature inside the gpu which is easily 10-15degrees C higher than the board temperature. The temperature you are measuring is a different one. The closer you get to the gpu the higher the temperature. If you would view the internal cpu temperature you would be scared too as that number is about 60C too.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 02:56 PM   #3
Hyper_Eye

Okay, that is understandable. The only problem is that 60C is about 35C higher then what I am measuring underneath the core. That just seems like quite a jump.

I guess the question I need to ask... What is a safe max temp inside the core? I want to overclock in the VGA BIOS but this is a concern to me. Of course, I don't know what the temperatures will look like oc'd right now anyway. I need to do it first.
Hyper_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 04:10 PM   #4
Thunderbird

Not fully sure what the temperatures are but thought that they were near 100C (really). Near those temperatures the drivers clock the card back.

Further don't overclock your card from within the bios. The tools that allow you to modify your bioses are wrong and very dangerous to use. (they make very bad assumptions about what the clockspeeds, voltages ...)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote