Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-22-04, 09:13 AM   #13
sonaboy
Why can't you spell?

Send a message via ICQ to sonaboy
Default Re: Oh sweet! I get to write copy that appears in the new Counter Strike game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick
Yep

Here is the link

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041018/sfm092_1.html

here is their webpage http://www.massiveincorporated.com/

It shows a 'fake' game with 'fake' adverts in it.

However, UNLESS these 'ad supported' games are FREE i will be very pissed.
why would you be pissed if there were ads in a game? it's just another graphical element. it seems like if the ads brought the cost of running a game server each month from $80 to $50 then it's a very painless way to have it happen. i seriously doubt that these ads provide enough revenue to totally alleviate the cost of a game from a publisher so they can provide it for free.
so get ready to be pissed, i guess.

massive incorporated is not the company this work is for, either.
there are several companies that do this now.
Old 10-22-04, 09:48 AM   #14
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: Oh sweet! I get to write copy that appears in the new Counter Strike game!

Advertising should be used to get a customer to buy a product. The product itself should not be an advertising medium. This is a huge problem in movie theaters, and if I start seeing ads in my video games, I'm gonna be extremely angry. There's a reason ad-blockers are so popular.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 11:01 AM   #15
sonaboy
Why can't you spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Advertising should be used to get a customer to buy a product. The product itself should not be an advertising medium. This is a huge problem in movie theaters, and if I start seeing ads in my video games, I'm gonna be extremely angry. There's a reason ad-blockers are so popular.

The product itself IS an advertising medium - i don't know where you've been for the last 15 or so years, but every time you buy a bag of chips or a VCR tape or DVD, there are advertisements on those that try and get you to buy more of the company's products, or a business partner's products. even in demos - you get that splash screen at the end of the game that tries to get you to buy the full version, and other titles that the company makes. it's all the same.

i'm not sure what you mean about "movie theaters" - as long as i've been going to movies, there have been ads for food and movie passes being advertised before the show starts. now they're showing tv commericals before movies, which is kinda lame, but whatever. the reason these are being shown is because movie theaters are no longer run by movie production companies. they're owned by soft drink corps, multimedia corps, etc.

again...these things are just another graphic element within the game, not something like a pop up window that blocks your web page or hampers your gameplay. *shrugs*
Old 10-25-04, 10:46 AM   #16
Hajile

Do we get the same benefits? Mainly having those ads means the ad companies pay to put it there, which translates to lower game prices. If it means cheaper games, then that might offset the complaints.
Hajile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 11:39 AM   #17
killahsin

yeah because having coke cans say coke, is way to much advertising. the travisty of having to change the machines from cola to coke when most people who make games want to use 'coke' instead of cola, or pop when they design their models/levels.
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 11:41 AM   #18
Pafet
GeForce 7900GT

Anyone remembers the Intel and nVidia ads in 'Enter the Matrix'? And how much did the game cost?

I see it as a point against those companies. and the game sucked
Pafet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 12:37 PM   #19
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

i dont think ads in games are a bad thing. what better way to relax after a long day of disarming bombs than to open a bottle of cool refreshing coors. (break out into coors song).. i...love...shooting terrorists in the head... making sure they're dead...and.. and twins!
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 01:59 PM   #20
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Movie theaters used to only run a 1-minute ad for snacks in the lobby, then it was off to the "Now for Our Feature Presentation" thing. Now you have to sit through a half hour of TV commercials that are just plain painful to sit through.

I have yet to see a single ad on my DVDs or any other media that I've bought, and I've certainly not seen any aside from product placement during the actual movie/tv show. I have a problem with product placement as well, but I won't get into that. Anyway, on to the point...

I play video games for fun. One of the things I really like about video games that greatly contributes to their fun is the suspension of disbelief. I really enjoy every genre of games (except sports games) but my favorites are RPGs, RTSs, and FPSs. There's a good reason for this - these genres lend themselves towards a more engrossing gameplay experience. They take you to other worlds, tell you fantastic stories, or place you in the shoes of an impossible one-man army. Now say I'm playing Zelda, for example. I'm wandering along when I come to a cave guarded by a man in a hooded cloak. Before I can continue through, he tells me, I must complete a quest. I listen intently to recieve my task. The wizened old man leans forward, whips back his hood and reveals his true form! He's a tiny African-American puppet with a giant fro! "AH BE WANTIN A COOL, REFRESHING SPRITE! OBEY YO THIRST!"

Suddenly, I'm ripped from the fantastic world of Hyrule and I'm back in my living room being screamed at by a stereotypical puppet about obeying my thirst for Sprite, which ironically dehydrates me. The game experience is immeasurably cheapened, and I'm left pissed of and offended as usual by the marketing geniuses at Coca-Cola Corp. who, through demographics studies, have determined that I am "hip-hop" and can identify with a jive-talking black puppet.

Get my point? Aside from, of course, Coca-Cola cans that say Coke on them, I can't see many good opportunities for advertising IN-GAME that wouldn't cheapen the gameplay.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-04, 01:24 PM   #21
Soylent

Comercials in the actual game is a horrible idea unless they are VERY tastefully and subtly done. I never go see movies anymore, apart from most movies being craptastic the commercials are downright painfull and the ticket prices less than amusing.

The only commercial I see as justified is informing people about a NEW product they might want to purchase, that's OK if it's in something I'm not paying for, a free newspaper or something. There's simply no reason for me to even own a TV anymore(and I don't), if there is EVER a show that I might like to watch I will download it quickly and painlessly, I won't have to wait for years for it to possibly arive over here and I won't be told for the 1879th time that I need to drink sour caffienated water that tastes like piss or what the solution to my menstrual problems is. If it's a really good show I'm likely to get it on DVD, which I would NEVER EVER do if they included commercials on the DVD.
Soylent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 10:55 AM   #22
sonaboy
Why can't you spell?

okay, well...my project was finished and it turned out to be a splash screen upon exiting the game to appeal to people to join the Natl. Guard in various states.
nothing IN GAME - and this ad will only pop up on exit if you live in one of the states that bought into the project (8 total).
the guy who says he hasn't seen a single ad on any DVD he bought isn't being truthful - every DVD i've ever bought is packed with previews of other movies, another DVD release, and so on. hell..i've even had some that had ads for soundtracks, or other CDs in it. three had vid game advertisements packaged inside.
that's in-product advertising, no matter how you cut it.

not that i care one way or the other, but the encroachment of advertising/partnerships with companies and gaming companies can be scaled to how much game piracy is going on.
i get copies of games, music and so on from friends for free, so i'm not preaching. but piracy costs the game companies millions a year, and i imagine they had to figure out ways to offset this phenomenon somehow.
my last project is most likely a direct result of this.
Old 10-28-04, 02:21 PM   #23
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonaboy
okay, well...my project was finished and it turned out to be a splash screen upon exiting the game to appeal to people to join the Natl. Guard in various states.
nothing IN GAME - and this ad will only pop up on exit if you live in one of the states that bought into the project (8 total).
the guy who says he hasn't seen a single ad on any DVD he bought isn't being truthful - every DVD i've ever bought is packed with previews of other movies, another DVD release, and so on. hell..i've even had some that had ads for soundtracks, or other CDs in it. three had vid game advertisements packaged inside.
that's in-product advertising, no matter how you cut it.

not that i care one way or the other, but the encroachment of advertising/partnerships with companies and gaming companies can be scaled to how much game piracy is going on.
i get copies of games, music and so on from friends for free, so i'm not preaching. but piracy costs the game companies millions a year, and i imagine they had to figure out ways to offset this phenomenon somehow.
my last project is most likely a direct result of this.
Alright, so if it dose only pop up when you close the game i do have some good news.

As in almost all other games that follow the Id console method, if you dont use the menu system to close the game, insted use console "Quit" it will bypass the ads.

I am willing to bet that the same will apply with CS. That same method seems to work in even demos that have splash screens, tribes vengance demo is an example.
Old 10-28-04, 02:39 PM   #24
sonaboy
Why can't you spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick
Alright, so if it dose only pop up when you close the game i do have some good news.

As in almost all other games that follow the Id console method, if you dont use the menu system to close the game, insted use console "Quit" it will bypass the ads.

I am willing to bet that the same will apply with CS. That same method seems to work in even demos that have splash screens, tribes vengance demo is an example.

fine by me - i already got paid.