Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-29-04, 07:09 PM   #1
lostboyuk

Default flashing a pny 5900xt with a modded bios.

The first modded bios i used was a Creative one.....went on a treat...not satisfied I needed more so I went for the bios volt modded file ...ie: the leadtek one @445x885 these are wot I clocked them up eventually with coolbits ,the first boot in win xp is lower....just in case yer gfx card don`t support this higher clock speed.The flasher I used was the trusted nv flash 4.41..........the best............so easy.its stupid..........all you need to do to flash your pny gfx card...5900xt to a great gamer and nice n` steady desktop 2d is this:
to be honest go for the Leadtek bios file ok here`s the link~

http://www.mvktech.net/component/opt...13/id,422/#422
3rd paragraph down ...."New 5900xt bios"Leadtek A350 xt.tdh.

ok you`ve got the file down.......I renamed it to summit simple...........jeff.rom

now all you have to do now is get nvflash 4.41 down ok
once down ...all you have to do is make a xp floppy start up....and add the contents to it....ok you have the 2 files down and the file jeff.rom in there aswell.all added to your winxp start up disk so thats 3 files you`ve added ok

ok here we go

boot into dos....we all know how....don`t we?.....make sure your bios is set to floppy 1st boot......ok here we go you see the a:/ prompt.........all you need to type after the prompt is this "nvflash -fjeff.rom -p -u" without the quotes , then wait while it flashes ,you see the -p - u this overrides the manufactuar codes ,ie if your flashing over another manufactuar like creative to pny ect it does the buisness...............ploughs on ahead............as alwaYS if this flash fails don`t blaim me ok.........................................but I found this so brill for my PNY 5900xt....it realeased soooooooooo much more in the benches ect ect
and here I am using this very bios in 2d to write this my clock speeds are...445x885 3d
hey and as always when you flash your bios n` reboot you have to reinstall your drivers...k,coz you know have a new grfxcard dont ya..............?????
think about it.......so install, yer best drivers.....do the usual ...into add n` remove ect ect.....use driver cleaner n` ............njoy...your new speed.

Last edited by lostboyuk; 11-11-04 at 04:14 PM.
lostboyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-04, 09:46 PM   #2
BigE4u
Fatal Error

Default Re: pny 5900xt modded bios`s that work..

Do you really have to reinstall the nVidia drivers after flashing? Maybe its true because i just flashed my Leadtek 5900XT(a350xt-tdh) card with a modded Leadtek a350xt bios from mvtech and after rebooting it still showed same clocks. I thought maybe the flash didn't take so i flashed it back with its original bios and funny thing is, i don't remember having to do that when i flashed my Gainward 5900nU to 5950U, of course its been awhiles so i forget. I'll give it a try and see what happens... even though it may make sense to reinstall the drivers.

Ps- Btw... i did use "nvflash v4.41" utility, same one i used for my 5900nU to 5950U flash so i knew i didn't do anything wrong.

EDIT: DOH!... yes you do have to reinstall the drivers for the newer clocks to set... im now happily running 450/850 from 390/700 and a 900+ point increase in 3dmarks01.
Seagate 500gb 7200rpm sata2
Zotac AMP GTX460 1gb
Win7 Ultimate_x64 Sp1

Last edited by BigE4u; 11-04-04 at 11:38 PM.
BigE4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-04, 04:02 PM   #3
lostboyuk

Smile Re: pny 5900xt modded bios`s that work..

Yea no problem,you had the same problem I had...lol....Re-install driver and everythings ok.....Further update: I have my modded bios running nice on my pny 5900xt @ the moment clocks are 445x925....this was achieved using the 61.77 drivers..if I use any other driver I can`t get this high..everything is rock solid @ this speed aswell..along with my amd barton 2800 overclocked to 2511 mhz I `m well happy.had a 3dmark 2003 of 6051 which is well over wot I used to get using the standard pny bios...as far as I`m concerned my job is done...glad it worked out for you any way...nice one .Oh and I see from your spec;;you run the same mobo as me...
Old 11-11-04, 04:26 PM   #4
BigE4u
Fatal Error

Correction... partly true when having to reinstall drivers, when "updating" the bios from the same manufacturer of the VC, you won't have to. When flashing your card with a bios from a different manufacturer, only then you will have to uninstall then reinstall the display drivers. From what i gather from jimmor(mod) from mvktech.net, you have to turnoff or deselect the overclocking option in coolbits first BEFORE flashing. Then when flashing is complete, go back into coolbits and turn the OCing option back on and you shall see your new clocks... again, this only applies when flashing an updated bios from the same manufacturer as the video card.

Ps- Yes, the NF7s v2.0 motherboard rocks!
Seagate 500gb 7200rpm sata2
Zotac AMP GTX460 1gb
Win7 Ultimate_x64 Sp1
BigE4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-04, 04:47 PM   #5
lostboyuk

Thats a good point...I`ve not flashed a card with an updated bios of the same manufacturer b4,so I didn`t know that.....well I did years ago try to flash a voodoo 3000 agp with an updated one ...and all I got was a dark screen...lmao..and a deep gut feeling of s..t I`ve naffed that up....still we sorted that out with the pci trick using a banshee.
Christ now I`m showing my age...time to shut up...next I`ll be mumbling spectrums and c64`s n` bbc`s......