Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-07-02, 04:55 PM   #1
kmallick2000

Angry Horrible resolution with GeForce MX440 and RH 8.0

I just put together a new system with Athlon 1.1 GHz, GeForce4 MX440 and RedHat 8.0. The 2D picture quality as RedHat configured it was not that bad. After I installed the latest NVDIA drivers (1.0-3123) the 2D picture quality is just plain horrible with lots of ghosting. I am running a resolution of 1400 x 1050 on a 21 inch monitor.

The 3D performance is not bad, but I was expecting some significant improvement over my old TNT2 M64 32 meg card. The latter gave crisp and clear picture quality on the same monitor with the same resolution.

I can happily play TuxRacer. I Haven't played Quake3 yet. I ran glxgears and I am getting close to 653 fps. Can somebody give me some feedback on what type of numbers I can expect from glxgears?

More importantly, is it common to have bad 2D resolution with GeForce MX440 cards?

------------------------
Athlon 1.1 GHz
GeForce4 MX440 64 MB SDRAM (made by Chaintech)
IBM P202 21 in. monitor
512 MB PC133
kmallick2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-02, 05:52 PM   #2
bwkaz

How long is your VGA cable? I saw a good bit more ghosting when I went from one 9-foot (or so...) cable to a 9-foot cable from the monitor to a KVM, then a 6-footer from the KVM to the video card.

But there's also the possibility that the analog electronics on the video card that drive the VGA signal are getting interference from something in your case. What else is located around the video card?

Using the standard default size of the display for glxgears, I get ~2800fps on my GF4 Ti4200. The processor's an Athlon XP 1800, and everything on the system is compiled from source specifically for that Athlon XP processor (which is why I really like LFS ). If you're using RedHat, I think everything is compiled for any i686 (Pentium Pro and newer) processor, which is a slight bit slower, but not much. Nothing like the 20% speed improvement I saw going from i586 to i686.

It seems something is running slowly, in any case. I don't think I've heard of glxgears running below 1000 FPS on any GF4... though maybe. Are you sure you didn't make the window bigger than normal?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-02, 09:29 PM   #3
kmallick2000

Thanks a bunch for posting...

Well, I forgot to mention that I have a KVM running two systems. Therefore there is one video cable that runs from the KVM to the pc and another that runs from KVM to the monitor. Both would be 6 ft. ea. I assume. If this is what is cauing the ghosting - I am out of luck, huh? But why? As I mentioned before, my TNT M64 card was much better in the same system. I have a Matrox G400 in my other XP system, that hoooks up to the KVM as well - and the 2D performance of that Matrox card is something to die for.

The GeForce4 card is the only card in the machine. The ECS motherboard has built in soundcard and LAN.

1000 fps is what I should expect? Hmmm. I am running RH kernel made for Athlon. And I ran the glx gears with the default screen size. Anything else I can check?
Old 12-08-02, 08:11 AM   #4
bwkaz

Why would cable length cause ghosting? Because there are maximums set on cable length, for everything from network (CAT 5) to VGA to serial cables. These are based on the signals that get carried, the crosstalk between different wires in the cable, the presence of any shielding, and the impedance per unit length of the cable materials. If you're getting close to these limits, you might see weird results.

But if the G400 works on the same cable length... does switching the KVM cable that goes from the KVM to the G400 with the one that goes from the KVM to the GF4 help at all? It might be that you have a bit of a dodgy cable. Although if the TNT worked...

Also, it might just be dodgy decoupling in the analog parts of the video card. If the digital voltage rails are fluctuating because of the clocks elsewhere on the chip, then the analog circuits might be affected if there isn't sufficient capacitance to "smooth out" the supply voltage. But there really isn't anything you can do about that, unfortunately...

Quote:
I am running RH kernel made for Athlon
I never saw an improvement in speed when I built merely the kernel for a specific processor. The large increases in speed came when I compiled glibc, XFree86 itself (and therefore glxgears), and everything else for a specific processor.

You can look at the list of extensions reported by xdpyinfo, I guess. Or maybe there's something in your /var/log/XFree86.0.log? Is AGP enabled? If so, do you use NvAgp or agpgart? What motherboard chipset is this?

Last edited by bwkaz; 12-08-02 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-08-02, 01:09 PM   #5
kmallick2000

Its a ECS K7S5A motherboard with SIS 735 chipset.

I tried a few things shifting video cables - didn't help. I have decided to pack the board up, send it back to newegg and get an ATI card or Matrox card instead. The 2D clarity is much more important to me than 3D game playing.

Thanks a bunch for all the reponses.
Old 12-08-02, 04:16 PM   #6
bwkaz

Well, hmm, OK, whatever.

You do know that ATI has released Linux 3D drivers, right? For all their video cards, 8500 and newer, I think, though I've never used it myself.