Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-18-04, 12:41 PM   #1
Slybri

Default The year long delay was a good thing.

If this game had come out in sept of 03, assuming it was somehow finshed then, it would have been bad for the PC game industry.

Think about how Doom 3 would look coming out 6 months AFTER HL2. It would have been met with a collective shrug. Would Id even have released it? They probably would have scrapped the whole project and started over. The story was a rip off of HL1 anyway.
And FarCry? Sure the game looked good (if you like islands) but nowhere close to HL2, and not as fun. And it performed horribly even on high end systems. Gamers would have trashed it. (they really shoud have stuck with the dinosaurs, Speilberg or no)

But Valve delayed the game till after Farcry and Doom 3 and we got to experience each game objectively. Farcry was great, Doom 3 looked amazing, then Half LIfe 2 blew them away. And all of the games were bestsellers, not to mention the Video cards and hardware that we bought to play these games. Did we need to? I had a 9600xt that could have ran hl2 just fine, but I got a 6800gt for it. Overkill? Nah!
Everybody made their money. And we as PC gamers had a great year of games.

Hopefully the early 2005 lineup of Stalker, Fear, Battlefield 2, etc. are great as well.

"Nice shot William Burroughs! You hold a gun like a guy who plays Riven!"
------ The Venture Bros.
Slybri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-04, 12:59 PM   #2
Vash
Angel Arms

Default Re: The year long delay was a good thing.

In the end, I am glad that they came out the way that they did. I know that if I'd played HL2 before Doom 3, I don't think I would have considered it a good purchase. As it stands, I'm happy I spent $50 on it.

As to who ripped off who, it's the other way around. Doom had the "teleporter experiments open hole to hell/alien world and demons/aliens invade - it's up to you to stop them" thing before HL1 did. Though I do have to say that HL1 and now, HL2, have done more with that story than Doom, Doom 2 or Doom 3 ever did.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-04, 04:35 PM   #3
superklye

Default Re: The year long delay was a good thing.

What do you mean Doom 3 stole HL1's story? Doom 3 is a remake of Doom 1, which came out in 1994...5 years BEFORE HL1.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote