Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-10-02, 08:42 AM   #1
Cable_Cutter

Angry The only problem...

The only problem ive had with linux is that i cant load KDE...
When i try to load KDE it says that there are no screens found...
I think its the driver for my Geforce 4 Ti4200(wich is not there...)..
I had a visit today from a linux guru,but with no luck...
Has anybody here had the same problem???
As i said,i think its the drivers,wich currently is not there...

Im no god at the linux console,so if anyone has a solution to the problem,please make a easy answer...
Cable_Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-02, 11:25 AM   #2
bwkaz

OK, you're going to have to give just a bit more information. Preferably, the log file from when X failed to start (your problem is with X, not KDE. KDE programs are some of the X clients running, but X is the server. The problem is with the server).

What you would do:

Make sure you're booting to runlevel 3. Do a grep initdefault /etc/inittab, and make sure that you get a line that says id:3:initdefault: printed. If not (if it says 5 instead of 3), then you're going to have to edit that file. mc, Midnight Commander, has a good text editor if you have it installed -- just do an mc to start it up. Otherwise, try pico /etc/inittab, nano /etc/inittab, or possibly (these are the harder editors to use) emacs /etc/inittab or vim /etc/inittab. One of those should open up an editor -- pico and nano should have some common commands (exit, for example) on the screen. In emacs, you can move the text cursor around and make the change (from 5 to 3) yourself, then use some strange key combination (I should know it, but it's been forever since I used emacs...) to save and exit. With vim, you move the cursor around, then when you get to the place you want to do editing, hit the 'i' key. Make your changes, then hit Esc and type in :wq and hit return (to save and exit).

Once you've made sure that it says id:3:initdefault:, then reboot. Log in, and try to startx. Then, post (verbatim if possible) the entire text of any error that gets printed, at minimum. It would be preferable if you posted your entire /var/log/XFre86.0.log file, but you'll need a Web browser working to do that (perhaps you could copy the file to a Win partition, if you have one?).
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-02, 11:54 AM   #3
Cable_Cutter

Default Well...

I really cant give you that info because:
1.I got sick of trying
2.Bill's monopoly was just to strong
3.I really dont have anything else...

If linux just was a bit more userfriendly...
Well,that day will come...one day...

Anyways...When i deside i know more about Linux is the day i'll start using it...That day,that day...

Well,thanks for the reply...
Good to know this isn't one of the dead forums...
(ive been to many of those...)

Regards,
Cable Cutter
Cable_Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-02, 02:57 PM   #4
bwkaz

Well I was going to say it's probably as simple as a wrong BIOS setting (assign IRQ to VGA should be on). But, well, whatever...

Of course, that isn't the only thing that can cause stuff like this, but it's the most likely, and I'd have to see the log file (or at least the exact error message) anyway to make sure that was it.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote